School Operations Leader, Redwood City
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
At KIPP Bay Area Public Schools, School Operations Leaders are the strategic business and operational directors of our schools. We actively develop the broad skill set required of School Operations Leaders and prepare them for organizational leadership within and beyond our network.
KIPP Excelencia is seeking an experienced people and project manager to ensure the consistent execution and coordination of KIPP’s strategic priorities, manage day-to-day school operations, support and scale growth, drive efficiencies and systematization, and partner with instructional leaders to ensure procedures at our school maximize time students spend learning. The School Operations Leader is a senior, school-based leadership role that oversees all finance and operations functions necessary to run a high-performing school.
The School Operations Leader is responsible for driving the school’s recruitment, enrollment, and year-over-year student retention strategy, implementing the newly designed operation’s organization structure, driving all internal and external school communications, meaningfully engaging KIPP’s parent community, and managing the school’s operational budget. The SOL is also responsible for setting and maintaining a vision for operational excellence and for future operational needs including driving strategy, priorities, and projects that will best achieve KIPP’s goals and objectives year over year.
KIPP’s School Operations Leaders are passionate about working with kids, parents, and staff. They know the importance of excellent education and believe all students deserve the opportunity to attend an excellent school. They are effective operations directors, detail-oriented project managers, and visionary entrepreneurs. They care about developing a school culture through effective systems and supporting community efforts. They embody KIPP’s values of grit, love, curiosity, zest, and gratitude.
- Model and support implementation of the school’s vision and goals
- Contribute to school-wide planning and prioritize time to accomplish goals
- Develop emerging leaders on the operations team with the School Leader’s guidance
Modelstrong staff and student culture
- Develop and manage school-wide policies, systems, and procedures.
- Collaborate with School Leader on hiring diverse, highly-effective teachers and school staff
- Serve as
primaryliaison between Excelencia and the Regional Support Office (including ensuring fiscal and human resources are in compliance, managing student information and assessment systems, and leading structured recruitment and enrollment practices)
Roles and Responsibilities
Provide school operations leadership and supervise and support school operations team
- Manage Operations Associates (OA) in areas of student attendance and enrollment
- Ensure OA successfully manages the school’s main office and serves as the face of the school by answering questions from parents, students, and visitors
- Support OAs with the maintenance of student records (both paper and electronic)
- Provide front office staff with guidance on implementing and managing communication systems with families (e.g. newsletters, mailings, flyers)
- Design thoughtful and differentiated professional development opportunities for the Operations Team to enable the ongoing growth and development of Operations Associates and Operations Coordinator
- As a key member of the school’s leadership team, the SOL partners with the school leader to build a safe, joyful learning environment
Manage day-to-day school operations
- Support student attendance goals and reduce truancy and chronic absenteeism by ensuring staff and families follow attendance procedures, managing attendance accounting, and reporting, and supporting the school’s process for addressing truancy
- Help plan and host on-campus and off-campus school events, including weekend community days, parent learning opportunities, student field trips, and more
- Support implementation of regional policies and procedures related to operations, technology, facilities, development, data management, and marketing
Drive all strategic communications
- Support School Leader in writing and disseminating all strategic communication to Excelencia staff members (including weekly newsletters, debriefs, and internal instant messaging tools)
- Write, review and/or edit bilingual parent-facing communication, including but not limited to weekly newsletters, announcements, emergency text messages, and social media updates
- Define all parent-facing deadlines, and drive strategic efforts to ensure 100% of families complete necessary action items (i.e. completing applications, turning in order forms, etc.)
Lead student recruitment and enrollment process
- Partner with School Leader and regional finance team to thoughtfully design enrollment targets and corresponding school staffing plans
- Manage student recruitment and enrollment process from start to finish, including marketing, canvassing, and community engagement; collecting applications and interest forms; sending acceptance letters; ensuring ongoing communication with families; managing the waitlist; and developing and implementing summer retention activities to ensure all enrolled students attend on the first day of school.
- Schedule and organize orientation sessions and engagement opportunities for new families
Manage multi-million dollar school operating budget
- Partner with School Leader to define budgetary priorities each school year
- Manage all schoolwide purchasing in alignment with budgetary priorities
- Create systems for delegating budgetary management to grade level and department leads
- Partner with
regionalfinance team to forecast year over year spending needs and corresponding schoolwide enrollment and staffing targets
Lead talent recruitment, hiring, and promotion processes
- Partner with school leader to design a recruitment strategy rooted in equitable hiring practices
- Lead the recruitment, interviews, candidate assessment, and onboarding of all new school staff
- Design and implement systems for equitable staff promotion
- Support the School Leader in driving organizational clarity through year over year role definition to ensure that the staffing model best supports the needs of the school
Skills and Qualifications
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission and values
- 2-3 years of project management experience with clear stakeholder engagement
- 1-2 years of people management experience preferred
- Spanish proficiency highly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Google Suite required
- Ability to self-direct, prioritize and multi-task among competing goals
- Experience and comfort working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with keen attention to detail
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years of work experience or 5+ years’ work experience strongly preferred
Salary & Benefits
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.