Strategic Finance Manager
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,200 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
As a key member of the four-person finance team reporting to the Associate Director of Finance, the Strategic Finance Manager serves as a financial adviser and is responsible for analyzing and capturing strategic organizational opportunities. As a function, the finance team reports directly into the CEO and serves as a strategic internal consultancy on major decisions.
The objective of the finance team is to maximize student outcomes over the long-term through the efficient, effective, and sustainable allocation of financial resources. This is accomplished through an effective balance of hard and soft skills as our work is rooted in empowering organizational leaders, who bring academic expertise and proximity to students, with high quality financial information and advising to make effective decisions.
Serve as financial adviser
- Advise and thought partner with school principals and operations managers (5-7 schools) on fiscal operating decisions and multi-year planning, and collaborate with them to achieve financial sustainability goals.
- Serve as the primary advisor of our Talent Recruitment and KIPP Through College, enabling the successful hiring of faculty for our 11,000 student growth plan and the KTC team to effectively prepare our 3,000+ and growing alumni to lead choice-filled lives.
- Support Associate Director and Director of Finance on running analyses, monitoring financial performance, recommending solutions, and preparing meeting agendas for larger set of 15 KIPP schools.
- Analyze trends in spending and behavior in order to maximize resource allocation and student results.
- Empower school and regional office budget managers with tools, information and analyses to help them make thoughtful and impactful decisions in service of our students.
Serve as team lead on analyses and metrics behind key organizational strategic opportunities
- Own all real estate financing analyses, including creating and running models for project underwriting, due diligence for our $10M+ loan issuances, and maintaining KIPP’s capital planning
- Own and lead analyses of annual faculty compensation refresh and everything Talent Recruitment.
- Monitors dashboards and reports to ensure our $15M+ KIPP Through College team, Special Education team, and deferred maintenance pool track to budget. Communicates solutions with team and budget manager when department does not track to budget.
- Prepares quarterly presentation on Facilities for our KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ Finance Council.
- Special projects as determined.
Grow into a finance team leader
- Contribute to the multi-year vision and annual initiatives for the finance team.
- Support the finance team’s culture of continuous learning and shared voice through frequent participation and leadership in team meetings.
Skills and Qualifications
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission: firm belief that all children will learn and deserve access to an excellent public education
- Approaches work with joy and curiosity
- Actively seeks personal and professional growth
- Expert at (and enjoys) building models and structuring analyses
- Analytical and strategic thinker that considers pros and cons across multiple functions and stakeholders
- Manages up and sets expectations constantly against competing deadlines from stakeholders
- Results-oriented with attention to detail
- Builds relationships with a broad range of stakeholders and utilizes strong communication and presentation skills to influence across functions
- Strong skills and comfort with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Docs
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume by clicking apply on this page.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.