Junior Varsity Girls' Basketball Assistant Coach, San Jose
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
Goals and Performance Responsibilities:
Help manage and supervise the Girls Basketball Team from grades 9 through 12
- Carry out designated tasks assigned by head coaches (with the approval of the Athletic Director)
- Supervise students at all times from the time practice or the activity starts until the designated activity ends
- Help ensure the proper completion of physical examinations and all forms relating to the examinations and emergency medical authorization before a student participates in any tryout, practice, scrimmage, or game
- Complete all required NFHS and First Aid/CPR certifications required by the PSAL and CIF
- Attend seasonal informational meeting regarding your sport
- Enforce all academic requirements set forth by CIF, PSAL, and KSJC
- Show respect for officials, the press, opposing coaches, visiting teams, parents, fans, students, athletes, fellow coaches, and teachers
- Be a leader among young student-athletes as an athletic coach and/or teacher
- Be responsible for the security of all facilities used by the team and coaching staff when custodians are not on duty
- Help arrange transportation as needed for all away contests
- Help facilitate team fundraising for a specific amount of money each year (Will
notexceed $2,000 as a team)
- Perform any other duties or responsibilities related to the coaching position as needed or directed by the Principal and/or Athletic Director
Establish an environment in which athletes can gain self-esteem and develop a positive self-image:
- Help plan a Senior Night at the last home contest of each year
- Help set up of all Pack Night and Senior Night audio and/or other equipment
- Demonstrate an interest in the classroom efforts of athletes
- Provide leadership that promotes positive attitudes and good sportsmanship
- Work with athletes in a fair, understanding, tolerant, sympathetic, and patient manner
- Promote school and community interest in the sport by:
- Attend a pre-season parent meeting
- Maintaining a pleasant, workable relationship with league officials, tournament officials, and news media
- Encouraging team members to attend other games, dances, school plays, etc.
- Notify all members of the team of all policies, procedures, and training rules as they pertain to the team
- Be responsible for the conduct of student-athletes and other involved students at all times (practices, games, bus rides, other schools, etc.)
Establish winning teams within the bounds of good sportsmanship:
- Develop teamwork, morale, sportsmanship, courtesy, fair play, academic excellence, and strict adherence to the rules of training and conduct
- Promote the attitude among athletes and coaches that winning is important but is secondary to good sportsmanship and the overall welfare of the athlete
- Possesses and maintains a moral character that’s in congruence with the expectations of KIPP Bay Public Area Schools
- Possesses all qualifications and criteria established by KIPP Bay Area Public Schools for coaches, supervisors, and directors of student activity programs
- Possesses good knowledge of the sport assigned, including but not limited to knowledge of training and conditioning techniques and the ability to diagnose player deficiencies and prescribe corrective activities
- Possesses a good ability to communicate with parents and students
- Possesses the ability to address situations dealing with blood, bodily fluids, and tissue
Term of Employment
The length of the contract shall be determined by the length of the athletic season as established by the state high school athletic association, the administration, and KIPP Bay Area Public Schools.
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by clicking “apply” on this page.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.