The Buyer is responsible for creating, submitting and managing Purchase Orders for products to our suppliers. They will work off the demand forecast in conjunction with our product management and warehouse replenishment teams. They will build positive relationships with suppliers in the best interests of the company and will positively contribute and help manage category sales and profitability.
Inventory Management, Replenishment and Procurement of Product
- Work with Stores and Inventory Management team to determine product needs and timeline requirements.
- Review catalogs, industry periodicals, directories, trade journals and the internet, and consult with team members to locate necessary products.
- Prepare and administer purchase orders and review requisitions for products.
- Provide direction to Purchasing Administration team with functions related to supplier invoicing, product pricing, rebate setup etc.
- Work with the Inventory Management team on inventory reduction activies and initiatives.
- Work with the Inventory Management team and warehouses to identify products that require balancing between warehouses.
- Maintain data on replacement or referenced product lines, treads or individual SKU’s to provide forecasting accuracy on new products
- Confer with the VOC, internal clients, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determine corrective action.
- Identify, research, and resolve problems relating to purchasing issues.
Reporting and Forecasting
- Review warehouse Days of Inventory (DOI) levels to identify products against the forecast that are at risk for going into backorder or over-stocked.
- Consult with the warehouse replenishment team and help provide input on inventory policies and ordering rules when needed.
- Maintain created Purchase Orders by completing, modifying or cancelling when applicable.
- Review purchase order ETA’s and follow up with suppliers when shipments are delayed or information is inaccurate.
Store Sales Support
- Develop and and share expert product knowledge with internal customers and stakeholders.
- Review backorders regularly and create action plans to fulfill demand and provide accurate ETA’s
- Number of back ordered items and time to fulfill backorders
- Available To Sell (ATS) by velocity code
- Supplier lead times and shipments in full
- Ensure a high quality of communication to all Purchasing team members and other stakeholder departments and personnel
- Overall inventory values by items velocity, fill rates, obsolete goods, and levels that meet the demands of the region, stores, and organization.
- Minimum 3 years experience in Supply Chain, Forecasting, or Inventory Management related activities
- Exposure to the tire industry or a similar highly customer-service driven environment.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of Kal Tire’s KINS system or other inventory management and/or forecasting software
- Ability to thrive in a team based work environment, where the best interests of the group take precedence over individual goals and achievements
- Ability to prepare and present reports suitable for board room discussion
- Intermediate level knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Able to work effectively with small to mid sized vendors
- Ability to deal effectively with difficult people in difficult situations.
- Proven negotiation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain supplier measurement programs
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work on special projects
- An undergraduate diploma or degree in related advertising, marketing or business discipline.
- Willingness to travel throughout Canada and internationally, as needed to fulfill the job requirements.