Lead Hand - Valentine Gold Project
LEAD HAND - VALENTINE GOLD PROJECT
The Lead Hand is responsible for the daily operations of the MTG site, ensuring that all safety standards are adhered to, team members are well trained, and all service and product standards are met.
Marathon’s principal asset is the Valentine Gold Project in the Central Region of Newfoundland and Labrador, one of the top mining jurisdictions in the world. The Valentine Gold Project is located in Central Newfoundland, approximately 80km Southwest of the mining communities of Millertown and Buchans.
When completed, the Valentine Gold Project will be the largest gold mine in Atlantic Canada and a significant contributor to the economy of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Perform all aspects of tire shop work related to the customer sites.
- Assist mine maintenance staff as required.
- Perform appropriate maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Maintain appropriate tire inspection and maintenance programs on site.
- Alternate MTG site vacation coverage as required.
- Demonstrate and promote best practices to the customer.
Operational / Technical
- Dismount and mount tires for a variety of vehicles for the mining tire industry.
- Ensure that all tires are mounted safely and according to load requirements.
- Perform equipment checks and calibrations.
- Fit and remove wheels from any type of vehicle.
- Balance any type of tire and rim assembly.
- Perform repairs to tires and tubes.
- Perform Fleet Inspections and determine the suitability of wheel components to remain in service.
- Operate heavy-duty tire servicing equipment and tools.
- Ensure all work is done according to Kal Tire work and safety standards.
- Complete required reporting and logging of data, as required.
- Ensure the tire shop, office and fleet vehicles are maintained in an orderly, clean, and safe manner.
- Assist in maintaining stock for tire-related equipment
- Mentoring/Assessing will be required under the Kal Tire LMS training system.
- Ensure safe work performance of the tire service team.
- Ensure the effective performance and development of the team by setting clear role objectives and service standards, providing information, tools and processes to get the job done.
- Ensure all aspects of Kal Tire’s Health & Safety Program are communicated and implemented in a consistent manner with Team Members, including; D&A Program, FLRA, Hazard Analysis,SWP’s, Accident/Incident Investigation & Reporting, Monthly Safety Meetings & Inspections, Due Diligence, etc.
- Support and participate in the health and safety committee where ever possible.
- Hold and document regular safety and toolbox talks with team members.
- Ensure all safety and CSR activities comply with our policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership regarding our safety and CSR practices.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of environmental goals and objectives.
- Assist in a monthly report on area activities – using defined KPI’s to benchmark performance.
- Maintenance of LEMS sheet.
- Provide daily, weekly, monthly reporting to the customer as required.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled customer meetings.
- Provide continuous feedback with team members in regards to customer activities, changes in policies or procedures, company updates/changes, team member performance, etc.
- Assess and prioritize daily tasks, responsible for assigning and follow-up on workflow.
- Ensure site inspections, tire and wheel inspections, air pressure monitoring, scheduled rotations and change-outs, proper documentation, are all entered into TOMS and are carried out to provide the best value and tire performance for the customer.
- Participate in Scrap tire inspections and analysis along with repair decisions with the manufacturer to ensure a cost-effective program is maintained
- Provide Tire Tracking data, analysis and information based on accurate documentation, data entry and reports.
- Ensure appropriate equipment and tooling is provided and is cared for, maintained and in good working order.
- Take all reasonable measures to ensure compliance with relevant Company, Customer or Governmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure Kal Tire S.W.P’s are up to date, reviewed, readily available, followed and enforced.
- Ensure all customer-specific orientations and S.W.P’s and policies are understood and followed.
- Ensure that F.L.R.A‘s are conducted and completed as required.
- Understand, provide and maintain the TOMS & KINS system along with relevant reports and analysis. As well as the customer’s SAP system and WENCO dispatch system.
- Encourage and provide assistance where possible in conducting weight studies.
- Be proactive in understanding new technology in the marketplace that could aid in the tire maintenance process and provide added value to our customers.
- Ensure adequate inventory is on hand or readily available to meet the needs of the customer.
- Ensure inventory is managed with regards to shipping, receiving, invoicing, POS, etc. so as to protect the assets of both Kal Tire and the customer. This includes weekly and monthly inventory counts.
- Ensure TOMS is maintained with regards to tires by location to identify stock, spare, out for repair, etc.
- Develop and maintain knowledge and documentation of the customer business with regards to fleet size, forecasting, operating hours, utilization, scrap average, mine plan, haul profile, future growth or reduction, etc.
- Educate the customer and his operations as to areas of improvement through Tire Awareness presentations.
- Maintain and document a solid tire repair program through inspections, assessments, proactive repairs and Tire Tracking.
- Support and encourage retreading wherever possible.
- A minimum of 3 years of tire installation experience or related experience.
- Preferred 1-3 years of leadership experience.
- Experience operating and maintaining tire manipulators, forklifts, and service trucks.
- Experience working in an environment where safety procedures are a key part of daily operations.
- Ability to direct and manage team members
- Ability to exercise sound judgment to identify and resolve problems.
- Sound understanding of safe methods of work procedures and safety performance measures.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and enthusiasm.
- Computer literate - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software systems.
- Understands tire sizes and applications (advising client and ability to discuss with tire manufacturer reps).
- Understands tire failure causes and analysis.
- Experience with Tire maintenance options (applications, psi, rotations, matching, removal, rims, etc.).
- Ability to discuss issues and defend OTR position as required with client management.
- Fleet survey knowledge.
- Understanding Site Severity issues and reporting.
- Able to obtain and maintain all applicable licenses, certificates as required to perform the duties as required to work at mine sites.
- Able to work in a results-oriented, fast-paced environment as part of a team.
- Good communication skills and ability to express themselves well both verbally and in writing.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- High School diploma
- Additional certification and training preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to comply with relevant insurance policies