Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Assistant Controller directly manages two teams: (1) Canadian Operations Accounting; and (2) Consolidated Financial Reporting.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for assisting the Controller with the management of overall financial operations of Kal Tire and works with the Controller to provide accurate information to the Board of Directors. This includes analysis, Internal financial reports for management purposes and audited consolidated financial statements. The Assistant Controller will aid the Controller in directly managing Kal Tire's accounting functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures. The Assistant Controller will also support the Controller in maintaining and continuously improving Kal Tire’s internal control framework. Works with the Controller and VP, MTG International Finance, to provide support and guidance to Regional Heads of Finance with respect to technical accounting and reporting matters and compliance with the consolidated close process.
Management of Teams
- Provides leadership to the Canadian Operations Accounting and the Consolidated Financial Reporting teams through excellent communication, a high drive for results and strong people development.
- As part of people and team development, assesses staffing requirements in conjunction with the supervisors. Looks to the 2 to 3-year time horizon.
- May take on the duties of Program Manager for Kal Tire’s Pre-Approved CPA Training Program. Leads on-campus CPA recruiting activities.
- Directs the training and development of team members, including direct oversight of CPA articling students.
- Assists the Supervisor and Team Leads in providing quality performance feedback for all team members and directly provides such feedback to the Supervisor and Team Leads.
Canadian Operations Accounting and Consolidated Financial Reporting
- Manages the preparation and distribution of Canadian Operations and consolidated financial information that is timely, accurate and insightful. A focus on the needs of stakeholders and related continuous improvement.
- Works closely with the Director, Global Tax to ensure Canadian legal entity financial reporting and related information meets the needs of tax compliance and planning. Through the consolidated reporting process, assists with providing a line of sight on international financial information.
- Coordinates develops and updates written policies and procedures over the Canadian and consolidated financial reporting process.
- Supports the ongoing maintenance and development of internal controls over the stewardship of assets and financial reporting. Consults with and makes strong recommendations to the Controller as required.
- Researches, or directs the research, and resolves accounting issues, including the evaluation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements, to ensure compliance with IFRS. Works with and makes recommendations to the Controller, as required.
- Ensures confidentiality of sensitive financial information is always maintained.
- A senior and key contact with the external audit Manager and Partner. Works closely with the Controller in managing this relationship.
- Coordinates the year-end audit and preparation of audited consolidated financial statements.
- Leads the two teams in the preparation and presentation of financial information for quarterly and annual reports.
- Works comfortably with the Controller, Vice President Finance, MTG, and the Chief Financial Officer in developing approaches to meet the financial reporting needs of Kal Tire stakeholders.
- Working with the Controller and others, maintains sufficient knowledge of changes being initiated in Canada and the various geographic regions to make assessments of the internal controls over financial reporting.
- Work with Controller and operations to define, measure, analyze, improve and control current processes that impact internal customer quality and influence internal operating efficiency.
Liaison to other Departments
- Ensures other departments and Regions whose activities impact the monthly close remain aware of requirements, controls, and timeliness.
- Maintains sufficient knowledge of the activities of other Canadian functions and (to a more limited extent in this role) International Regions to make assessments of the impact they may have on amounts reported in the Canadian and consolidated financial statements (ex. Inventory and bad debt allowance, insurance provisions, real estate values, deferred tax assets and liabilities).
- Maintains sufficient knowledge of changes being initiated by other Canadian functions to make assessments of the internal controls applicable to the system changes, and their impact on the financial systems.
- Maintains contact with users of financial information to ensure the information provided is relevant for their purposes, to obtain useful insight into their perspective of the business drivers behind financial results, and promote goodwill between the finance departments and business operations.
- Working closely with the Controller, provides support and guidance to finance managers across geographic regions with respect to technical accounting and reporting matters and compliance with the consolidated close process.
- Working closely with the Controller, provides advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis and reporting.
- Works with Controller to promote and maintain positive relations with the broader Finance Group.
- Plays a lead role and works closely with the Controller in managing changes in accounting standards. A key internal resource for technical accounting and financial reporting guidance.
- Identifies opportunities to improve/streamline processes within their remit or processes that are shared across functions.
- Supports new systems or projects from strategic finance and internal control perspective.
Evaluates reporting and other control functions on an ongoing basis and making recommendations for changes to the Controller.
Key Performance Indicators
- Refer to the Competency Levelling Matrix. Candidates should demonstrate the ability to operate at the required competency levels.
- Meet or exceed the requirements under core responsibilities.
- Succession planning over a 2-3 year time horizon, with optionality/alternatives.
- 10+ years in professional accounting and financial reporting environment. Experience with public company reporting preferred.
- 5+ years of experience managing team(s).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, internal controls and accounting/financial reporting best practices.
- Ability to evaluate complex business and accounting issues.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements, including note disclosures. Extensive experience in preparing various reports, which appraise, interpret and communicate the financial results and status of the company against business plans and objectives.
- Has successfully played a key role in a financial team but can also contribute at a corporate level.
- Refer to required Core and Foundational Competencies.
- Degree in Business, Finance or Accounting
- CPA designation
- Must be bondable.
- Flexible schedule required to accommodate periodic times of intense workload.
- Some travel required in conjunction with new location acquisitions, projects, and to maintain contact with operations.
- Experience working in an environment with multiple, international operations.
- Experience in the preparation/oversight of consolidated financial information.