Garden Trading – Junior Merchandiser
Garden Trading are passionate about creating products for your home and garden that are as functional as they are beautiful and are designed to stand the test of time.
We take hiring the right people as seriously as we take the quality of our products and the service our customers receive, as we believe every person has an important role to play in fulfilling our mission.
This role is part of the Merchandising team, responsible for all Homewares categories and responsible for driving the overall performance across the categories and all channels, undertaking all tasks to ensure the product categories trade in line with the business revenue, profit and margin budgets.
Reporting to the Senior Merchandiser, the Junior Merchandiser role is to analyse past and current sales, trends and the overall category market to define a customer balanced range framework for the Category/Class for the Buyer to select products against. They must manage this within the overall budgeted parameters, react in season to re-balancing the range if required, clear the products efficiently at the end of their lifecycle and take ownership of the Homewares trading numbers.
The role includes working closely with the Buying team to ensure continuous data analysis, forecasting and channel management of all Homewares products. The role will also liaise with other teams across the business, including Marketing, Ecommerce, Trade, Customer Service and Warehouse team to ensure all product and operational requirements are met and in line with brand guidelines.
This role puts the customer first and aims to make recommendations and decisions that continuously improves how we do things.
As a Junior Merchandiser you will:
- Analyse sales and reports across all channels and actively trade categories in order to maximise sales, profit and achieve optimum availability throughout the season without overstocking
- Work closely with Buying team to review weekly trading performance and identify any issues and opportunities to respond to weekly trading conditions
- Have a clear understanding of the costing model, and review pricing in line with business targets for review by Senior Merchandiser
- Monitor and react to any specific sales trends
- Track any key trading and marketing activity
- Use historical analysis and market trends effectively to justify forward plans
- Carry out seasonal range build and range review tasks to deliver a commercial intent plan
- Manage the in-season reforecasting process
- Manage the range within the agreed parameters (width of range, clearance at end of lifecycle etc)
- Forecast product sales for the upcoming period to accurately predict stock commitment that is needed to fulfil all customer demands
- Ensure all orders are placed, negotiated and confirmed in timely manner
- Engage with colleagues across the business to ensure ranges are delivered on time and in line with the business launch plan
- Support the delivery of all marketing and digital activity
- Work closely and maintain good working relationships with all supply partners
- Phase intake in line with production requirement, considering impact on supply chain & warehouse
- Manage seasonal critical path to ensure on time product launch online
- Communicate accurately and clearly with the relevant amount of information
- Develop effective relationship with business key stakeholders and immediate team to ensure smooth lines of communication to and from Merchandising Team
- Communicate key information to the wider business (e.g. Marketing, E Commerce, Operations, etc)
What we are looking for:
- Proven Merchandising experience within the Homewares retail sector
- Experience of multi-channel operational models, including wholesale and direct to customer fulfilment channels
- Critical path management and range building
- Ability to manage competing and challenging demands in order to prioritise and reschedule action points as needed
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Strong Excel & Powerpoint skills
- Commercial awareness – understanding of marketplace and the consumer and be aware of competitor activity and it’s impact on the business
- Customer 1st mentality - ability to communicate and influence colleagues at all levels of the business to achieve the required results.