ENVIRONMENTAL LAB TECHNICIAN
General summary: Lab Technician
The Lab Technician is to collect and run laboratory tests for Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE) compliance with permits as well as to assure our water treatment system and other processes are efficient. The lab technician is to report and help implement any changes that may be needed to assure the most efficient treatment based on real time lab results. The candidate must be well organized and must have good documentation and recordkeeping skills as well as housekeeping practices. Laboratory and general safety must be top priority as well as conformance with JBS standards, including standard operating procedures (SOPs). The lab technician must be able to work as well as a team but also independently, and must help drive best management practices (BMP) regarding environmental impacts and waste streams. The lab technician must also be able to operate heavy equipment including but not limited to skid-steer loader and dump trucks. This is a first shift position requiring on-call duty including some weekends.
- 60 % Laboratory operation (sampling and analyzing) for quality and regulatory needs and implementation of changes to the water treatment system.
- 15 % Documentation, recordkeeping, data analysis and water treatment co-management
- 10% Operating heavy equipment (skid steer, dump truck, shag truck, etc.)
- 15% Any other duties as assigned
- Work 40+ hours per week in lab and outdoor environment, with flexibility to work outside normal business hours.
- Regular exposure to slippery floors, extreme temperature variations, loud noise, chemicals, machinery and vehicles.
- This position requires daily sample draws and work to be performed outside.
- Good troubleshooting skills
- Strong time management skills
- Comfortable working independently
- Attention to detail
- Able to obtain Colorado Class C Wastewater certification after 1 year of experience
- Must have driver’s license and must be able to operate heavy equipment, including but not limited to skid steer and dump truck
- Must be proficient in computer programs: Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Lab experience
- Water analysis experience
- Environmental regulatory knowledge
- Mechanical skills
JBS is an EOE/M/F/Vets/Disabled and Drug Free Workplace