MARKETING MANAGER - INSIGHTS & LONG-TERM INNOVATION
Purpose and Scope/General Summary: This innovation marketing position drives and champions the voice of the consumer and the voice of the operator for the Prepared Foods and Fresh Pilgrim’s business units (BUs) stable of brands (Just Bare, Pilgrim’s, Pierce, and Gold Kist) – across the consumer and operator sales channels via a long-term view (3+ year horizon). As steward of the insights to innovation process, strategically holding in balance consumer, market, and business dynamics, you will design and analyze primary and secondary marketing research, transferring and translating data into actionable insights. This position is a vital thought leadership role. You enable advancing the Company’s branded product portfolio; facilitating the “Right to Win” across a rolling 3-year timeframe; achieving key performance indicators (KPIs) of the Research & Development & Innovation (R&D&I) department.
Your playing field in this position is fueled by a combined love and interest in answering questions from the voice of the consumer and operator perspectives to mitigate branded innovation risk and then by serving as the owner for a qualified, long-term product innovation pipeline. Following an end-to-end project management process throughout a product’s life cycle (conceptualization to commercialization to post-launch), you will lead, collaborate, and influence cross-functionally by working closely with Category Marketing, R&D, Regulatory & Nutrition, Culinary, Sensory Science, Brand and Commerce Activation Marketing, Sales, Operations, Procurement, and Supply Chain team members.
- Qualifies and product manages a portfolio of options from Assessment to early Development phase to support the long-term innovation horizon
- Serves as resident, in-house voice of the consumer and the voice of the operator backed by data validation and insights for the Innovation and Brand Teams from the initial innovation brief to the activation of the strategy across the stages of new product development
- Designs, fields, synthesizes, and analyzes market research – qualitative and quantitative – using syndicated (from research partners and agencies) and proprietary market research systems and platforms to inform the Branded Innovation Pipeline with emphasis on the long-term view (3+ years)
- Creates dashboards, templates, and learning guides to expedite Market Intelligence dissemination, servicing the BUs, cross-functionally
- Serves as the insight conduit aggregating category analytic requests and data synthesis and interpretation between the Innovation and Brand teams
- Uses research methodologies including product concepts testing, TURF analysis, focus groups, structured ideations, and IHUT/IRUT as part of the feasibility, development, and validation process for new products underway
- Partners with Culinary and Sensory Science Team, crafting product concept statements for consumer and operator screening in support of new product stage gate qualifications through early Development
- Regularly studies the insight domains of macro (social, technological, economic, environmental, political, and well-being) and micro (category and product including competitive intelligence) spectrums to equip the Innovation Team with consumption behaviors and patterns across relevant consumer and operator segments and sales targets
- Works closely with the Short-Term Innovation Team Product Marketing Managers as well as with the R&D Product Development Managers to provide insights-driven rationale for prioritization of product and project development through the brand lens across the Pilgrim’s brand portfolio
- Curates a product concept library of product options to facilitate innovation pipeline planning
- Mines data in partnership with the Market Intelligence Team to ensure effective market opportunities with branded products
- Manages the data and insights of new product development projects from Market Landscape Assessment through Commercialization and Post Launch Optimization stages
- Provides support in the tracking and reporting against innovation goals and objectives (KPIs) back into the broader organization
- Collaborates with research vendors/partners to design and to execute market research studies to uncover meaningful insights and implications, supporting Innovation and Brand Teams
- Creates and qualifies platforms, concepts, and ideas to align with brand plans, innovation platforms, and business priorities
- Partners with broader Innovation Marketing, R&D, Market Intelligence, Sales, Customer Marketing, and Category Marketing teams to craft the “sell in” stories for innovations to key customers
- Conducts ideations, focus groups, and other qualitative marketing research instruments to collect and analyze consumer and operator inputs, transforming data into actionable insights
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 7-8 years of related, progressive experience (food/beverage or CPG marketing, agency or marketing strategy preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Ability to travel (15%)
- Entrepreneurial accountability to drive projects forward in a disciplined approach with an attention and love for details
- Excellent determination evidenced by keen strategic thinking, collaboration, problem solving, teaming, and project execution skills
- Fluency in peer influence and navigating with organizational agility
- Experience in business case development
- Ability to effectively coach, manage, engage, and inspire direct reports
- Curiosity and a knack for storytelling the “why”
- Excellent communication & presentation skills—verbal and written
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong negotiation skills
- Comfort with ambiguity
- As a salaried position with the company, you may be required to travel at some point to other facilities, to attend Company events, or as a representative of the Company in other situations. Unless otherwise specified in this posting, the amount of travel may vary and the most qualified candidate must be willing and able to travel as business needs dictate.
The applicant who fills this position will be eligible for the following compensation and benefits:
- Benefits: Vision, Medical, and Dental coverage begin after 60 days of employment;
- Paid Time Off: sick leave, vacation, and 6 company observed holidays;
- 401(k): eligible after 90 days of employment including company match which begins after the first year of service and follows the company vesting schedule
- Base salary range of $96,000 - $107,000; and
- Incentive Pay: This position is eligible to participate in the Company’s annual bonus plan, the amount of bonus varies and is subject to the standard terms and conditions of the incentive program;
For individuals assigned and/or hired to work in Colorado, JBS and Pilgrim’s is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. This compensation range is specific to the State of Colorado and takes into account various factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to a candidate’s relevant experience, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiencies for the role.
The Company is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our team members and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct a drug, alcohol, and background checks for all new team members post-offer and prior to the start of employment. It is a job expectation that all new employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Those who have, at minimum, the first of a two-dose vaccine in advance of their first date of employment will be required as a condition of continuing employment to receive the second dose within the manufacturers recommend timeframe and submit proof of their final vaccination dose once obtained. If you need assistance in obtaining a vaccine, the Company can help schedule you with one of its healthcare partners following a conditional job offer, if one is made. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
About us: Pilgrim’s is the second largest chicken producer in the world, with operations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Mexico and the U.K. Pilgrim’s processes, prepares, packages and delivers fresh, further-processed and value-added poultry products for sale to customers in more than 100 countries, employs more than 50,000 people and contracts with more than 5,200 family farmers. Pilgrim’s is headquartered in beautiful Greeley, Colorado, at the JBS USA corporate office where our 1,200 employees enjoy more than 300 days of sunshine a year.
Our mission: To be the best in all that we do, completely focused on our business, ensuring the best products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers, profitability for our shareholders and the opportunity of a better future for all of our team members.
Our core values are: Availability, Determination, Discipline, Humility, Ownership, Simplicity, Sincerity