DATE:September 9, 2021
POSITION:LIVESTOCK HANDLING MANAGER
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Excellent conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Experience in swine production.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Animal Science or Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred, plus two years with livestock handling, or five years of experience in livestock handling with at least three of those years in management position.
- Verify that all humane handling SOPs are being carried out, including scheduling, unloading, training, handling of non-ambulatory animals, driving and stunning.
- Monitor, audit, and document each of these activities to ensure we are meeting and or exceeding industry standards and federal regulations.
- Collect information on sources of stress in pigs in order to provide feedback for improvement to suppliers and the plant.
- Insure that livestock truck drivers are certified in TQA training, provide training as required and maintain training records.
- Assist with contingency planning and providing proper care for animals in event of major plant delays.
- Serve as facility liaison for USDA-FSIS in matters related to humane handling.
- Correlate with QA and Product Management as to impact of animal handling on meat quality.
- Insure that animals are being properly transported by monitoring equipment, handling, and seasonal preparation of trailers
- Monitor animals for visible defects which may impact yields or quality; providing information to Procurement for feedback to producers.