ASSISTANT FARM MANAGER
Purpose & Scope: This position is responsible for assisting the Farm Manager in the total operation of breeding a sow farm consisting of 3150 to 9000 sows.
- Support the Farm Manager with supervision and training of hourly employees
- Effectively communicate expectations and job responsibilities to farm staff
- Be willing and able to perform all jobs associated with sow production
- Develop daily and weekly work schedules
- Coordinating the activity of department lead personnel
- Monitor the appearance of buildings and grounds are neat, clean and orderly at all times.
- Oversee implementation and maintenance of breeding programs in accordance with the company’s breeding processes and procedures.
- Oversee performance of regular breeder checks to determine status of new litters and breeder productivity, ensuring that the breeding colonies are producing appropriately to include animal numbers and adequate litters.
- Manage animal nutrition, including feeding and watering animals, and cleaning and disinfecting pens, enclosures, and yards.
- Direct examination animals to detect symptoms of illness or injury. Treat minor injuries and ailments and contact veterinarians to obtain treatment for animals with serious illnesses or injuries.
- Supervise injection of vaccines.
- Direct the selection of animals to be bred and semen specimens to be used, according to knowledge of animals, genealogies, traits, and desired offspring characteristics.
- Ensure accurate recording of animal characteristics such as weights, growth patterns, and diets.
- Direct packaging and labeling of semen to be used for artificial insemination, ensuring recording of information is accurate.
- Oversee preparation of containers of semen and storage or shipment.
- Inspect maintenance of logs of semen specimens used and animals bred.
- Oversee measurement of specified amounts of semen into calibrated syringes.
- Supervise injection of prepared animal semen into female animals for breeding purposes.
- Direct adjustment of controls to maintain specific building temperatures required for animals' health and safety.
- Examine semen microscopically to assess and record density and motility of gametes, and dilute semen with prescribed diluents, according to formulas.
- Oversee, tattooing or tagging of animals to allow animal identification.
• 4 year college degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years complete sow production experience
- Strong communication and listening skill
- Understanding of computer systems
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions independently
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team
- Be a team oriented, self-motivated and positive individual with strong work ethic
- Ability to efficiently multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with Bio-Security and swine production
- Proven safety track and awareness
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish
Travel: Occasional travel required