FIRST SHIFT QA/FOOD SAFETY SUPERINTENDENT
first SHIFT QA/FOOD SAFETY SUPERINTENDENT
Quality Assurance & Food Safety Souderton, Pennsylvania
Position at JBS USA Food Company
- Ensures that plant QA functions are running efficiently while maintaining a safe workplace and food safety within the plant.
- Lead, supervise, and manage FSQA personnel, ensuring continuing professional development, training, and overall employee well-being at all processing facilities
- Provide strong leadership and management skills in a high paced environment
- Must be able to conduct analytical testing (pH, Fat, Aw, Moisture) and operate lab equipment accordingly.
- Provide subject matter expertise for plant related programs and activities as they pertain to food safety/microbiology, regulations, and quality systems
- Provide technical oversight and guidance for quality related functions at the identified facility.
- Provide strategic leadership, guidance, and risk management for local food safety and quality programs and systems to include, but not limited to, HACCP, Preventative Controls, SQF or other BRC-related programs, USDA Process Verified Program and customer or 3rd party audit-drive requirements and policies.
- Oversee plant HACCP, pre-requisite quality programs, and all quality/food safety related programs to meet regulatory and/or customer requirements
- Assure sampling for raw, WIP and finished product in compliance with label and specification declarations.
- Oversee plant sanitation programs, pre-operational, and operational programs to ensure sanitary standard operating procedures (SSOPs) and regulatory requirements for food manufacturing
- Provide technical support to Plant Management and onsite plant functions
- Maintain shelf life requirements and Listeria monitoring programs to show continuous improvement. Track microbiological trends, sanitation program performance, and product shelf life within plant and communicate results to plant team members and corporate quality assurance.
- Comprehensive knowledge of statistical process controls. Ability to drive continuous improvement with Quality Programs
- Support Continuous Improvement with standardized work, science based problem solving and utilizing real time tools to predict quality attributes. Implement SPC, control charts, visual management, and other lean manufacturing tools
- Create and write quality control programs to be implemented plant and company wide
- Adhere to specific customer request and specifications in reference to quality of products
- Oversee all raw material claims and product/ingredient receiving
- Evaluate sanitation and pest & rodent contractors’ performance to ensure they are completing their jobs in a safe, effective and professional manner
- Prepare, implement and monitor standard operating procedures for each production area in the plant
- Coordinate efforts implementing new products/process with respective parties (i.e. engineering, production, management, maintenance)
- This position is considered on call. Directed activities therefore could occur on nights, weekends & holidays
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Animal Science, Meat Science, Food Science or related science discipline preferred
- College experience beneficial to develop writing skills and animal science knowledge
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in the quality control area
- HACCP certification
- Knowledge, background and expertise in Meat processing operations is critical.
- Areas of knowledge must include HACCP, specification adherence to incoming raw materials, brine mixing procedures, trimming, chilling, styling & packaging specs, packaging modified atmosphere characteristics, final box/package configuration and shelf-life
- Supervisory skills; good interpersonal relations; able to handle conflict.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with leadership skills
- Experience in leading groups of QA employees, including setting team and individual objectives, managing individual and team performance and building a team approach to problem solving
- Outstanding communication skills in order to lead, engage and motivate individuals and/or teams.
- Strong proficiency with personal computer software with knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and multiple applications required.
- Detail oriented and strong analytical skills
- Highly organized
- Spanish/English bilingual desired but not require