STRATEGIC SOURCING SPECIALIST
Job Title: Strategic Procurement Sourcing Specialist
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Nearly 150 years ago, Gustavus Swift founded Swift & Company. He was a true pioneer whose passion and innovative spirit transformed the meat industry. This commitment to transformation mirrors that of Swift Prepared Foods today. Swift Prepared Foods (formerly Plumrose USA) is the prepared foods arm of JBS USA, one of the world’s largest meat companies. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
The Strategic Sourcing Specialist will report to the Procurement Manager and will be responsible for optimizing the supply chain procurement of all protein raw materials to supply raw material to five plants. Handles all administrative tasks surrounding procurement of protein raw materials from sourcing to invoice payment. Works and collaborates with all functions (i.e. Quality Assurance, Operations, and R&D) and all levels of the organization; facility managers, supervisors, and receiving personnel. Communicate and collaborate with suppliers daily to ensure timely delivery and quality adherence of raw materials to facilities.
Support new product launch initiatives while developing and implementing cost reduction and sourcing strategies, leading to improved quality, technology and timely delivery performance.
- Forecasts monthly performance of material economics, cost saving objectives
- Identify and advise management about commodities risks and opportunities
- Ensures delivery of requested raw materials to plant schedulers
- Sends out daily market close reports
- Keeps track of daily market closes, offers perspective on market movement
- Develop positive relationships with supplier and keep in close contact regarding orders, market conditions, and trends
- Assist in the raw materials claims process:
- Support timely resolution of plant-initiated claims with suppliers.
- Identify chronic quality issues and trigger problem-solving.
- Work with Finance team to resolve blocked invoices
- Recommends optimal supply chain for back-end of overall supply chain system including, but not limited to optimal mix of suppliers for all proteins, efficient warehousing of all frozen products, schedule to remove products at optimal time
- Supports management of co-manufacturing purchasing and inventory levels
- Works with plant management to improve overall procurement processes for facilities
- Recommends optimal use of brokers to broaden supply source
- Processes raw material and co-manufactured product claims with suppliers, brokers and plants to an agreeable resolution and reimbursement
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's Degree preferred in the following majors: Business, Engineering, Finance, or similar.
Minimum of 1-3 years of Sourcing/Procurement experience, preferably in protein/food industry
- Self-starter, data driven individual focused on continuous improvement and possess a growth mindset
- Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills
- Superior analytical capacity and problem-solving skills
- SAP experience preferred
- Advanced Skills in Microsoft Excel
- Experience in analyzing, selecting/recommending, approving and auditing suppliers for different product platforms within a multi-plant manufacturing environment, based upon supplier capability relative to designing, supporting, quality and manufacturing.
- Ability to facilitate or represent procurement in cross functional technical and commercial meetings.
- Team orientated approach and demonstrated capacity to work with teams
- Ability to consolidate monthly results and assist in preparation of senior management presentations in Microsoft Power Point
- This position will have interactions with the following stakeholders:
- Raw material suppliers
- Economists, outside forecasters
- Brokers and 3rd party vendors
- Government agencies /USDA
- Freight, warehousing, suppliers.
- Suppliers, vendors, strategic partners
- Human Resources, Accounting, and Logistics
- Scheduling and Sales
- Category Managers
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Plant working environment.
- Food Manufacturing Operations environment
- Travel Required 10%
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers or on indeed.com.
We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401 (K) plan.
Swift Prepared Foods is an equal opportunity employer.