PROCUREMENT OPERATIONS MANAGER
Job Title: Manager, Procurement Operations
Location: Chicago, IL or Midwest Plant Location (IA/MO)
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Nearly 150 years ago, Gustavus Swift founded Swift & Company. He was a true pioneer whose passion and innovative spirit transformed the meat industry. This commitment to transformation mirrors that of Swift Prepared Foods today. Swift Prepared Foods (formerly Plumrose USA) is the prepared foods arm of JBS USA, one of the world’s largest meat companies. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global Protein Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the Prepared Foods world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
The Manager, Procurement Operations will report to the Head of Procurement and will be responsible for optimizing the supply chain procurement of all items under their responsibility. The manager will play a strategic and tactical role supporting the production at 6-7 manufacturing plants and lead a team of 1-2 corporate procurement resources; developing and implementing cost reduction, sourcing/supply strategies, supplier management; leading to competitive costs, improved quality and consistent delivery performance.
- Act as a trusted advisor to Plant Managers, Supervisor, Schedulers, and Controllers; ultimately leading the critical supplier relationships and be the first point of contact for critical supply issues and constraints.
- Provide leadership and direction to a team of employees. Use effective management skills to develop a high performing team and drive employee engagement. Manage performance and development of the team.
- Support on-time & accurate fulfillment of all materials to Plant Operations by Suppliers
- Drive continuous improvement and standardized tools and management infrastructure to manage supplier performance, accountability and actions accurate management reports. Championing the elimination of non-value-added steps in our processes.
- Convert the sales and production forecasts to component materials and communicate to the Suppliers to ensure short, mid, and long-range plans are understood and achievable.
- Drive Total Delivered Cost Reduction across all dimensions of TCO (i.e. price, transportation, and efficiency)
- Lead Supplier Performance Management program; managing performance and driving improvements in service, quality, consistency, and cost. Championing root cause analysis of supply issues and hold the suppliers accountable to mutually agreed upon actions.
- Identify, develop, and implement strategies to mitigate supply risk and ensure fulfillment of materials across the assigned manufacturing sites
- Develop and implement “Best in Class” supplier management strategies that balance desired service levels with cash flow management and obsolescence minimization.
- Develop & support implementation of inbound supply chain strategies including; hub and spoke, min/max, EOQ inventory management- and supplier-owned inventory to reduce costs and reduce lead times.
- Collaborate with cross functional groups, acting as Procurement lead for all commercialization, R&D, and cost saving activities for packaging and ingredients projects. Closely managing all item transitions to ensure seamless transitions while minimizing costs and obsolesce
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's Degree required. Preferred majors: Business, Engineering, Finance, or similar.
Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in progressive leadership roles in Procurement or Supply Chain
- Experience working in a matrixed organization; in high performing teams; promoting teamwork and collaboration
- Experience in procurement, supplier/material management strategies, and/or end to end operations/supply chain management in a dynamic manufacturing environment (preferably in the food industry)
- Experience in analyzing, selecting/recommending, approving, and managing suppliers for different product platforms within a multi-plant manufacturing environment, evaluating supplier capability relative to specifications, quality, and manufacturing.
- Self-starter, driven individual focused on continuous improvement and operational excellence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled Negotiator/Influencer and demonstrated ability to build coalitions
- Creative problem-solver with the ability to work through ambiguity
- Superior analytic capability; Strong Microsoft Excel Skills, demonstrated experience creating excel models to support or analyze business decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to consolidate and connect large data sets and synthesize into weekly and monthly management reports and actions; prepare presentations in power point to senior management
- Ability to facilitate and lead technical and commercial meetings that require multiple cross functional participants.
- Team oriented approach and demonstrated capacity to work with teams
- Experience utilizing a sophisticated Multi-site ERP system, SAP experience preferred.
- Strong crisis management and conflict resolution skills. Demonstrated ability to identify “root causes” of issues and determine the course of action to meet short and long-term business needs.
- “Roll up your sleeves” mentality; must be comfortable doing as well as delegating.
- This position will lead interactions with the following stakeholder:
- Suppliers, vendors, strategic partners
- Economists, outside forecasters
- Freight, warehousing, suppliers.
- Human Resources, Accounting, and Logistics
- Scheduling and Sales
- Category Managers
- Internal Manufacturing leadership teams
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Corporate and Plant working environment.
- Food Manufacturing Operations environment
- 25-50% Travel
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers or on indeed.com.
We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401 (K) plan.
Plumrose USA is an equal opportunity employer.