Refrigeration Technician (Hourly)
Refrigeration Technician (Hourly)
SUMMARYInstalls and repairs industrial and commercial refrigerating systems (ammonia and Freon) and equipment by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Include the following (Other duties may be assigned):
- Lays out reference points for installation of structural and functional components.
- Drills holes and installs mounting brackets and hangers into floor and walls of building.
- Lifts or hoists and aligns components into position.
- Screws, bolts, rivets, welds, and brazes parts to assemble structural and functional components such as motors, controls, switches, gauges, wiring harnesses, valves, pumps, compressors, condensers, cores, and pipes.
- Cuts, threads, and connects pipe to functional components and water or power system of premises.
- Pumps specified gas or fluid into system.
- Starts system, observes operation, reads gauges and instruments, and adjusts mechanisms such as valves, controls, and pumps to control level of fluid, pressure, and temperature in system.
- Dismantles malfunctioning systems and tests components.
- Replaces or adjusts defective or worn parts to repair systems.
- Insulates shells and cabinets of systems.
- Installs wiring to connect components to electric power source.
- Wear self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) if required.
- Work in extremely hot and cold environment.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCEHigh school diploma or general education degree (GED);Prior experience in Refrigeration systems or equivalent degree from a technical school. or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLSAbility to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITYAbility to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.