Job Title: Quality Assurance Manager
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Plumrose USA is a company with an 80-year history of providing high quality, great tasting sliced meats, bacon, ham and ribs. Plumrose was recently acquired by JBS, the world’s leading provider of beef, chicken and pork, with a vision of building the company into a leader in Protein Centric Prepared Foods. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
Scope of Position:
To maintain product integrity and food safety within the plant. Implement all government directives, regulations, and polices on a plant-wide basis. Oversee all production of consumer ready meat products and ensure that all packages meet customer specifications.
- Maintain product integrity and food safety within the plant
- Run quality control area and delegate tasks within the area
- Organize and train all people within the quality assurance area
- Implement government mandates regarding quality control and food safety in all areas of the plant
- Maintain effective communication channels between government and plant officials
- Monitor all government regulations, programs, and policies regarding food safety both inside and out of the plant (FSIS, USDA, FDA, etc.)
- Keep employees focused on HACCP and GMP procedures
- Track microbiological trends, sanitation program performance, and product shelf life within plant and communicate results to plant team members and corporate quality assurance
- Create and write quality control programs to be implemented plant and company wide
- Adhere to specific customer request and specifications in reference to quality of products
- Develop and organize different means of evaluating product quality and then develop better ways to produce products
- Oversee all raw material claims and product/ingredient receiving
- Evaluate sanitation and pest & rodent contractors’ performance to ensure they are completing their jobs in a safe, effective and professional manner
- Prepare, implement and monitor standard operating procedures for each production area in the plant
- Constantly review and update product quality control programs
- Manage special projects regarding quality and food safety for the plant
- Work tasks fluctuate depending on the direction of government officials, plant conditions, and business objectives
- Responsible for ensuring that all areas of the plant are properly sanitized
- Conduct department meetings on a regular basis
- Coordinate efforts implementing new products/process with respective parties (i.e. engineering, production, management, maintenance)
- Develop, maintain and implement any programs relating to customer, or 3rd party requirements, to include leading audits and maintenance of BRC certification
- Monitor, track and evaluate all SPC programs mandated relative to customer requirements or plant performance
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Animal Science, Meat Science, Food Science or related science discipline required
- College experience beneficial to develop writing skills and animal science knowledge
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in the quality control area
- HACCP certification
- Knowledge, background and expertise in pork operations is critical.
- Areas of knowledge must include HACCP, specification adherence to incoming raw materials, brine mixing procedures, trimming, chilling, styling & packaging specs, packaging modified atmosphere characteristics, final box/package configuration and shelf-life
- Supervisory skills; good interpersonal relations; able to handle conflict.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with leadership skills
- Experience in leading groups of QA employees, including setting team and individual objectives, managing individual and team performance and building a team approach to problem solving
- Outstanding communication skills in order to lead, engage and motivate individuals and/or teams.
- Strong proficiency with personal computer software with knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and multiple applications required.
- Detail oriented and strong analytical skills
- Highly organized
- Spanish/English bilingual desired but not required
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle/feel items, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and talk or hear.
- Office and plant setting: the plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold (non-weather related), and working near moving mechanical parts
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401 (K) plan. Plumrose USA is an equal opportunity employer.