FOOD SAFETY SPECIALIST
Job Title: Food Safety Specialist
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Nearly 150 years ago, Gustavus Swift founded Swift & Company. He was a true pioneer whose passion and innovative spirit transformed the meat industry. This commitment to transformation mirrors that of Swift Prepared Foods today. Swift Prepared Foods is the prepared foods arm of JBS USA, one of the world’s largest meat companies. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
Scope of Position:
To provide technical expertise around Food Safety initiatives, HACCP, operational and prerequisite program requirements. This position will ensure compliance to USDA/FDA guidelines for food safety/SQF and BRC requirements. Also responsible for all QA prerequisite compliance programs, manufacturing programs, customer requirements and other quality aspects through program management.
- Act as document control manager for the plant; oversee document routings, amendments or changes
- Support product specification adherence through auditing and approval routings
- Lead SQF/BRC, Customer, Supplier and compliance audits Provide support for daily record review, pre-shipment review and product release
- Ensure FSIS compliance through program and policy oversight
- Perform HACCP/SSOP training for hourly and salaried employees annually or as needed
- Become SME for all things HACCP/SSOP; provide plant support
- Provide technical expertise around prerequisite programs, validations and operational inputs
- Assist with weekly, USDA exit meetings; lead in absence of Manager
- Benchmark with other plants to drive continuous improvement
- Lead FS Incident Investigations w/Operations
- Maintain and lead site specific or customer database management systems (Customer Complaints, PONC Tracking and Reposi Trak)
- Review sanitation program as needed, including pre-operational sanitation
- Support, maintain and write policies and procedures as needed
- Support the proper use and care of analytical instruments and equipment, including daily calibration tests via documentation
- Analyze documents for product chemistry specifically salts, moisture, fats and proteins; support Supply QA and Procurement activities
- Update and review all packaging, LOG’s, and other validations
- Be capable of doing swabs and validation tests as needed
- Have the ability to perform Pre-shipment reviews, recalls, and traceability tasks
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- B.S. degree or 3 years HACCP experience in a processed food manufacturing environment; Meat experience is a plus
- Must have knowledge of food microbiology and / or chemistry
- HACCP certified
- SQF/BRC knowledge required
- USDA experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Organization and detail-oriented
- Must have good computer skills – minimum working with spreadsheets and Word documents
- Ability to write policies and procedures
- Ability to train others
- Must be a team player and leader
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Food manufacturing operations environment
- Plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold (non-weather related), and working near moving mechanical parts
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle/feel items, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and talk or hear.
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers.
We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401(k) plan.
Swift Prepared Foods is an equal opportunity employer.