Job Title: Refrigeration Technician
Location: Booneville, MS
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Nearly 150 years ago, Gustavus Swift founded Swift & Company. He was a true pioneer whose passion and innovative spirit transformed the meat industry. This commitment to transformation mirrors that of Swift Prepared Foods today. Swift Prepared Foods (formerly Plumrose USA) is the prepared foods arm of JBS USA, one of the world’s largest meat companies. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
The Refrigeration Technician is responsible for maintaining all aspects of the ammonia refrigeration system, boiler, waste water/sewer, compressed air, fire suppression, HVAC and building maintenance tasks as needed. They are also responsible for preventive maintenance and emergency repairs on all equipment as needed.
- Maintain and complete work orders and preventive maintenance paperwork in a timely manner
- Maintain a log book of all breakdowns and corrective actions taken
- Complete daily rounds on all equipment; this includes weekends and holidays, 365 days a year
- Schedule shutdowns of equipment and machinery for repairs and maintenance without disrupting production
- Troubleshoot equipment mechanically and electrically for any issues
- Utilize time effectively to best minimize equipment downtime and repairs
- Be safety-minded and follow lockout-tagout (LOTO) procedures for all equipment that is being worked on
- Be a team player and not afraid to ask for guidance or help when needed
- Be on call when needed and able to work alone if the situation calls for it
- Receive and follow training on LOTO, fall protection, confined space, hot work, and any other training deemed necessary to perform the job safely and effectively
- Order materials and parts as needed for stock or repairs of equipment
- Maintain clean mechanical rooms at all times with no exceptions
- Work with several outside vendors and technicians in a professional manner
- Assist maintenance technicians with mechanical troubleshooting and repairs as needed or as directed by maintenance leadership
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- At least two years in a refrigeration or boiler room preferred.
- Operator 1 and Operator 2 preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of industrial maintenance and electrical functions
- Able to learn and follow directions from management and team leaders
- Able to follow and implement safety rules
- Able to read and write in English
- Proficient with time and prioritizing work
- Able to use a computer for the functions of the engine room and email
- Able to be SCBA certified for Haz-Mat
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work 12 hour shifts is required
- Noise level in the work areas can be loud, especially in the ammonia compressor room
- Will be regularly exposed to outside weather in all conditions
- Will be regularly exposed to chemicals used in the plant and for maintenance processes
- Able to climb ladders and stairs regularly
- Able to climb under and over piping and equipment as needed
- Plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold (non-weather related), and working near moving mechanical parts
- Food manufacturing operations environment
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers
We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401 (K) plan.
Swift Prepared Foods is an equal opportunity employer.