SR. PROCUREMENT MANAGER
Job Title: Sr. Manager, Procurement
Location: Chicago, IL
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Nearly 150 years ago, Gustavus Swift founded Swift & Company. He was a true pioneer whose passion and innovative spirit transformed the meat industry. This commitment to transformation mirrors that of Swift Prepared Foods today. Swift Prepared Foods (formerly Plumrose USA) is the prepared foods arm of JBS USA, one of the world’s largest meat companies. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
The Sr. Procurement Manager will report to the General Manager, Culinary Solutions and will be responsible for optimizing the supply chain procurement of all raw materials under their responsibility. The position will play a strategic role supporting innovation and growth initiatives, while developing and implementing cost reduction and sourcing strategies, leading to competitive costs, improved quality, technology and consistent delivery performance.
The role will manage all administrative tasks surrounding procurement of raw materials and co-packers for assigned categories. Collaborate with facility managers, supervisors, plant schedulers to ensure the timely delivery of raw materials to facilities in a dynamic manufacturing environment. The Sr. Manager will partner closely with the business teams, and be responsible all procurement supply chain activities, to support item development. The Sr. Manager will work with suppliers to ensure the full delivery of orders at the right cost and right quality. The position will also work closely with Quality and R&D to ensure suppliers meet all requirements for food safety and specification adherence.
- Lead all procurement activities for assigned area; including, but not limited to; price negotiations, supplier and item set ups, purchase order creation, MRP planning
- Identify and advise management about commodities risks and opportunities
- Develop positive relationships with suppliers and maintain close contact regarding orders, market conditions, trends, and opportunities
- Ensures delivery of requested raw materials to plant schedulers
- Interprets Protein market closes and longer range forecasts, offering perspective on market movement and buying opportunities
- Recommends optimal supply chain for raw material supply including; optimal mix of suppliers, efficient warehousing, and transportation.
- Helps manage/establish co-manufacturing purchasing function and inventory levels
- Works with plant management to improve overall procurement processes for facilities
- Processes raw material and co-manufactured product claims with suppliers and plants to an agreeable resolution and reimbursement
- 20%-25% Travel
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's Degree required. Preferred majors: Business, Engineering, Finance, or similar.
Minimum of 2 years of Sourcing experience.
- Experience in procurement and negotiation strategies - specifically dealing with proteins in general is required, with a preference towards beef or poultry.
- Experience in analyzing, selecting/recommending, approving, and auditing suppliers for different product platforms within a multi-plant manufacturing environment, evaluating supplier capability relative to specifications, quality, and manufacturing.
- Self-starter, driven individual focused on continuous improvement
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior analytic capacity and problem-solving skills
- Strong Microsoft Excel Skills, demonstrated experience creating excel models to support or analyze business decisions.
- Ability to facilitate and lead technical and commercial meetings that require multiple cross functional participants.
- Skilled Negotiator
- Team oriented approach and demonstrated capacity to work with teams
- Ability to consolidate monthly results and prepare presentations in power point to senior management
- SAP experience preferred
- This position will lead interactions with the following stakeholder:
- Raw Material Suppliers, vendors, strategic partners
- Economists, outside forecasters
- Government agencies /USDA
- Freight, warehousing, suppliers.
- Human Resources, Accounting, and Logistics
- Scheduling and Sales
- Category Managers
- Internal Manufacturing leadership teams
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Corporate and Plant working environment.
- Food Manufacturing Operations environment
- 20-25% Travel
If interested, please apply at jbssa.com/careers or on indeed.com.
We offer a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, and a 401 (K) plan.
Swift Prepared Foods is an equal opportunity employer.