ASSISTANT TRANSFER BIO-SECURITY & VACCINATION MANAGER
Purpose & Scope:
The primary responsibility of the Assistant Transfer Bio-Security and Vaccination Manager is to perform and oversee the effective vaccination, medication, and handling of recently weaned pigs while implementing effective bio-security measures to prevent disease introduction during transfer of animals through the transfer station facility. A successful Assistant Manager displays exceptional skills in performing vaccinations, medication, animal husbandry, and bio-security. The Assistant Manager promotes the safety and well-being of all team members while promoting the welfare of animals during vaccination, medication, and transportation.
- Perform and oversee effective vaccination and medication of piglets
- Implement and oversee bio-security initiatives to control the spread of disease
- Perform necropsy examinations, blood collection, injection, and animal evaluations
- Evaluate and implement continuous process improvement related to bio-security, vaccinations, and medication procedures
- Provide animal husbandry including proper water, feed, ventilation, and handling.
- Prepare vaccines and medications for administration, including using transfer needles and following mixing instructions.
- Follow detailed instructions to clean and sanitize vaccination and medication equipment.
- Perform and manage the cleaning and disinfection of facilities, including the removal of mortality and waste.
- Use of ventilation equipment including electronic controllers
- Monitor use of vaccines, medications, and injection equipment
- Maintain daily records of vaccines, medications, and animal care.
- Follow and oversee animal welfare compliance
- Make decisions regarding animal welfare, including performing euthanasia when indicated
- Production/facility housekeeping duties such as cleaning animal housing areas and office area
- Ability to use computer equipment: hand held devices and electronic wands
- Lead monthly Safety training
- Other tasks asked by Manager
• 4 year college degree or equivalent experience
- Basic understanding of veterinary science including vaccine and medication administration
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Understanding of computer systems
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions independently
- Ability to engage and effectively lead a team
- Be a team oriented, self-motivated and positive individual with strong work ethic
- Ability to efficiently multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with Bio-Security, swine production, and veterinary science.
- Proven safety track record and awareness of potential hazards.
- Bi-lingual English and Spanish
- Basic computer knowledge
Travel: None required