Working under the direction of the VP of Plant Engineering, this position will be responsible for providing leadership, coaching, and training, along with daily oversight, direction, and support to Plant Engineering and Maintenance planning, purchasing, project, and inventory teams for all Empire Packing Company locations.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Provides Maintenance Systems Management
- Oversees Plant Engineering and Maintenance planning, purchasing, and inventory activities for all facilities, including the scheduling and tracking of resources, PMs, work orders, inventories, staffing, facilities data, budgets, and safety.
- Responsible for managing the development of PMs and work order-based job plans, work order backlog schedule of preventative and predictive maintenance, work orders, and projects
- Collaborate with multi-level and multi-functional teams at all facilities in the creation and deployment of facilities programs.
- Manage the proper scheduling of work, to maximize task completion with minimal plant disruption, reduction in unscheduled downtime, while lowering costs and creating higher plant efficiency.
- Provide a plan to develop and ensure effective operation of a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS and ERP system)
- Ensure SAP and Shop Floor is supported at all plants.
- Available as support for management and staff when needed.
- Directs the Planning and Purchasing for Maintenance needs and the Preventative Maintenance program
- Works with VP Plant Engineering, Maintenance Managers, Project, and Maintenance teams to support plant reliability and mechanical integrity programs.
- Oversees all locations work order, preventative maintenance (PM) and predictive maintenance (PDM) programs.
- Directs each plant to estimate cost of each work order in terms of direct labor, materials required and total cost
- Ensure compiled equipment information is included into a job package that is ready for technicians to accomplish each shift; clearly communicating the critical steps in the work process at every facility
- Manage the planning of maintenance work, estimates time and resources, and schedules all planned jobs as needed.
- Manage the coordination of planning/scheduling effort for major plant turn-around and equipment overhauls for all plants.
- Manage parts and materials for new and reliability improvement projects to improve operation or equipment efficiency and to increase system reliability and performance to maximize uptime.
- Identify the scope and analysis of required level of planning and overall scheduling of Plant Engineering and project activities given available resources, criticality of work, availability of maintenance, project, vendor, contractor resources and Operations windows.
- Track and report on appropriate metrics to monitor and improve Plant Engineering performance and reliability for all plants.
- Generates detailed reports relating to preventative maintenance and work order completion, inventory accuracy, budget, technician resources, staffing, other scheduled work, and project status in a timely manner.
- Manage the replenishment of parts inventories and coordinates to reduce redundancy to reduce cost
- Responsible for accurate cycle counts to maintain correct inventory levels
- Manages the ordering parts, maintenance inventories, receiving, and stocking parts for facilities and operations and storing correct locations.
- Ensures all facilities maintain necessary inventories and are replenished as needed for all maintenance department consumable supplies.
- Monitor and control all recyclables: batteries, bulbs, cutting torch tanks, electronics and all other controlled materials used by Plant Engineering department.
- Works with Project Managers initiating and negotiating bids from vendors and contractors.
- Responsible for acquiring Plant Engineering and Maintenance parts, equipment, service, etc. purchase proposals from vendors to ensure cost-effective value in all purchases and review with VP Plant Engineering.
- Understands and follows the company GMP policy.
- Assumes other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or related job experience
- Ten or more years of related Maintenance planning/purchasing experience
- Five or more years of managerial experience
- Excellent understanding of maintenance strategies and techniques
- Extensive knowledge of technology including trends, opportunities, and products
- Familiar with mechanical, electrical, ammonia and other refrigeration, PLC, fabrication, hydraulics, and pneumatics
- Strong analytical and financial skills
- Strong ability to instruct and lead and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English Language
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills - maintenance and inventory software
- Strong math skills
- Must be well-organized with good attention to detail
- Display strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Maintenance background with ability to complete root cause analysis failure reports with cooperation of department teams
- Adaptable and dependable with ability to follow direction and work in cooperation with others
- Must maintain a helpful and professional attitude and appearance
- Computer literacy (Ability to use all related hardware and software)
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved, instructions and to deal with problems involving a few different variables.
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels within the organization, from the floor to the executive leadership team
- Up to 50% Travel is required
Active position, requiring standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day, ability to lift 25 lbs.
Must be able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Must be able to frequently and regularly use wrists, hands, and or fingers.
Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents, products, or operate machinery.
Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally.
Typical office type environment and must be able to work in a refrigerated food processing environment.