DIRECTOR RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT (FOOD)
Planterra Foods is a fully funded plant-based protein start-up in Boulder County, CO. It’s an investment by the JBS Company, the second largest global food company and the world’s largest protein producer.
Planterra Foods is building its team and looking for a talented and driven R&D professional to be based in Boulder County, CO to help build the best plant-based protein company in the world.
This Research and Development Director is responsible for leading the development activities that deliver the product pipeline for the near term. This critical leader will drive projects in retail, club and food service.
- Leads the pipeline R&D activities.
- Mentors and coaches Food Technologists.
- Develops new plant based protein products leveraging expertise in food processing, food chemistry, ingredient functionality, and experimental design.
- Translates consumer needs into product innovation and renovation.
- Independently completes projects to design, develop and improve new and existing product portfolio.
- Provides early guidance on product costs based on ingredients, and product formulations.
- Develop and maintain product specifications, ingredient statements, allergen information and formulas for all ingredients.
- Manages and oversees R&D activities such as shelf life testing, legal label claims, product/packaging improvements
- Leads plant trials both internally and at 3rd party manufacturers ensuring the best plant based products in the world are successfully commercialized.
- Act as a technical resource for the organization to answer questions about current and new products, plant capabilities, labeling regulations.
- Prepare product samples and ship to Sales and customers as requested.
- General awareness of FDA and USDA regulations, restricted/limited ingredients and approved processing procedures.
- Optimizes cost/quality and process improvements contributing to increased product quality and profitability for the business.
- Designs tests, interpret results and recommend next steps in product development
- Assists QA/QC in the analysis of product that generates customer complaints.
- Possesses a professional network to stay abreast of new technologies and trends.
- Minimum of 10 years of Food R&D experience; meat further processing experience valued
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Food Science, Meat Science, Food Engineering or related field
- MS strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in leading R&D projects & teams through stage gate process and into product commercialization
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to work cross functionally with multiple departments within the business
- Possesses a high degree of comfort in dealing with complex and/or ambiguous problems
- A leader with a strong track-record of delivering results and team-player, self-starter, open-mined, superb written and verbal communication skills, great interpersonal skills
- A strong leadership track record of building strong teams and developing talent at all levels of the organization
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to translate creative and innovative problem solving skills into strong business results
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to develop feasible and realistic deadlines
- Proven ability to adapt and demonstrate flexibility as business priorities change