Job Title: Plant Engineer
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reporting to: Plant General Manager
Our Plant Engineers assess food processing equipment, building maintenance, refrigeration systems, food safety processes. They do this while working to ensure that the condition of the buildings, equipment, and systems are maintained to JBS high standards. The Plant Engineers also create maintenance, refrigeration and capital project budgets and work to manage operations within those budgets. Furthermore, they ensure associates have exemplary response rates and service levels for industrial maintenance functions in the plant. They do this by coaching, mentoring and providing other assistance in the professional development of our industrial maintenance associates.
In addition, the Plant Engineer role is to ensure adherence to our Process Safety Management program and Risk Management for our ammonia refrigeration systems. By staying on top of the latest technology and manufacturing practices, the Plant Engineer also help to maintain the manufacturing plant as a leader in the industry. Plant Engineer carries out the direction and performance of maintenance operations in order to achieve planned objectives and goals. They also collaborate best practices with other JBS manufacturing facilities and departments.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for all maintenance activities, the operation of all utility systems, and project engineering at the plant site
- Insure reliability of plant equipment and establish and meet downtime goals at 5 minutes per shift for the fabrication and 7 minutes per shift for the slaughter area.
- Motivate interest in, and insure compliance with stringent plant safety programs while maintaining high levels of labor efficiency and effectiveness in responding to breakdowns and plant interruptions.
- Actively involve maintenance personnel to insure their expertise is used to improve food safety wherever applicable.
- Maintain close communications with operations and other plant departments and develop an appreciation for overall plant performance issues in all employees within the department.
- Help insure reliable and cost effective operation of utility systems continuously on line, including steam generation, ammonia refrigeration, air compression, electrical distribution and others.
- Help develop capital investment ideas that support overall plant profitability and develop and maintain the organizational capability to accomplish these projects.
- Represents the corporation in dealing with outside firms such as vendors and local government authorities
- Evaluate the performance of superintendents and foreman, taking corrective or remedial action as needed.
- Represent the entire plant’s needs and point of view in discussions with corporate engineering, regarding technical standards, project scope development and accomplishment.
- Ensure that the maintenance division complies with all Food Safety, Personal Safety and Environmental Programs, Regulations and Directives
- Develop and grow a trusting relationship with the USDA to insure that their requirements are being met
- Manage and maintain Repair & Maintenance budget for plant
- All other duties as assigned by plant manager
- Background in ammonia refrigeration, steam generation, air compressor technology, chain drives, all types of conveying systems, variable frequency motor controls, sanitary condition maintenance, cost accounting and motivational theories within a multi-ethnic workforce
- 10 years minimum of progressively more responsible positions within industrial maintenance field. Minimum of 5 years within a food processing industry
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in industrial engineering or related field, PE license, or relevant field experience applying concepts, principles and methods which these degrees and certification comprise
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) such as work order and preventative maintenance generation, parts procurement, systems and procedures.
- Technical and supervisory experience in electrical, electronic, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, instrumentations, automation and computer fields.
- Knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLC)and computer automation theories (software and hardware)
- Must be able to work flexible and extended hours, including some weekends
- Able to be on call 24 hours per day-7 days per week
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills with the ability to grow and develop positive relationships
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
“The Company is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our team members and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct a drug, alcohol, and background checks for all new team members post-offer and prior to the start of employment. It is a job expectation that all new employees have, at minimum, the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine in advance of their first date of employment. If you need assistance in obtaining a vaccine, the Company can help schedule you with one of its healthcare partners following a conditional job offer, if one is made.”