Safety and Health Coordinator
Assist in the handling of the accident and illness program. Conduct hazard and risk analyses. Ensure that all occupational safety and health tasks are completed as scheduled and required.
- Assist in submitting regular reports on the status of safety and health to senior management. Must be able to work with management and help them understand the various roles and activities in the safety and health management system. Assist as needed with Workers' Compensation Program (Partners Protection Program).
- Act as advisor to senior management, supervisors and Occupational Health Department when needed. Work with Plant Safety Committee. Assist with implementation of new safety and health management systems.
- Maintain and track the accident record system, investigate accidents and check on corrective measures that are recommended to prevent reoccurrence.
- Conduct monthly supervisor safety training classes (train the trainer) as well as supervise departmental monthly safety and health training. Initiate activities that stimulate and maintain employee interest in safety and health.
- Conduct weekly plant safety inspection. Make daily plant inspections to uncover unsafe work practices and conditions before they cause accidents. Assist in management of exposure control program, hazard communication program, respiratory protection program and hearing conservation program.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws and company policies on industrial safety and health.
- Assist the complex safety manager and management team in setting standards for personal protective equipment and machine guarding. Work with the Occupational Health Department to help develop our ergonomics program.
- Assist in approving designs for new and modified equipment and inspect such equipment before putting into operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Certified Safety Professional preferred
- Minimum of five years related experience in poultry or meat processing plant
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office); SAP experience preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Must be able to work in adverse conditions
- Must be able to work flexible days/hours when needed
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: College degree required. Directly related experience may be substituted for degree requirements.
At Pilgrim’s, Safety Is A Condition, which means the safety of our team members comes first - always. We have implemented safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are working to ensure social distancing within our facility. We have installed physical barriers throughout our facility such as plexi-glass or plastic barriers between team member work stations. Each day, temperature screens are performed for each employee and visitor before entering the facility. Face coverings are provided and required over the mouth and nose at all times when inside the facility, and enhanced cleaning and sanitation is regularly performed.