JOB TITLE:REFRIGERATION TECHNICIAN
FLSA STATUS: HOURLY
AREA OF USE:WACO PREPARED FOODS FACILITY (Waco, Texas)
To safely operate the ammonia refrigeration system and related equipment in accordance with plant Process Safety Management (PSM) program and Corporate Safety policies and procedures. Responsible for diagnosing system problems and making adjustments, to keep the system operating correctly. The Refrigeration Technician is also responsible for making equipment repairs as generated from work orders
Must supply own hand tools necessary to operate system, perform preventive inspections, and make repairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned as production demands may require.
- Must be able to safely isolate and pump down any section and components in the refrigeration system.
- Must be able to perform line opening procedures
- Must be capable of receiving or transferring ammonia in the refrigeration system.
- Must be qualified to do extensive or major repairs on:
- Ammonia compressors
- Ammonia liquid pumps
- Ammonia system controls
- Refrigeration system condensers
- Air compressors
- Air system drying equipment
- Air system controls
- Must have a clear understanding of refrigerant principles and concepts
- Must have working knowledge of computers and computer software.
- The following skills and/or training should be mastered while performing at the Refrigeration Technician level:
- Perform Mechanical Integrity Inspections (Know Codes)
- Plan and implement projects from inception through implementation
- Proper use of Volt-Ohm Meter
- Properly perform Maintenance and Isolation of equipment in accordance with written SOP’s and maintenance procedures.
- Attend Specialization Training
- Attain RETA CARO Certification
- Perform proper line break and purge procedures
- Perform proper pipe fitting and welding procedures (not certified for ammonia)
- Proper operation, PM and repair of other related equipment such as: boilers, air compressors and ventilation systems
- Must be able to authorize line breaking permits, initiate and implement Management of Change procedures, conduct pre-setup safety reviews, authorize hot work permits, audit and certify Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) procedures, and confined spaced procedures
- Must be able to read and mark up Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams ( P&ID’s)
- Must be able to verify and certify standard operating and maintenance procedures.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by Upper Management
- Will perform duties standing or walking 90% of the time.
- Will be exposed to temperatures as low as -20 degrees Fahrenheit (repair and preventive maintenance on cooling units inside freezer) or as high as 125 degrees Fahrenheit (top of boiler to turn steam valves off)
- Will be required to lift parts and engines weighing up to 50 Lbs. as needed
- Will be required to move up and down stairs consistently
- Must be able to wear a respirator and SCBA in the case of a HAZMAT emergency while performing extraneous duties in hot or cold environments. (see number 2 of this section)
- Will be required to perform duties on slippery surfaces due to the presence of oil, chemicals, Ice water or other substances.
- Will be required to work outdoors under all weather conditions and at all times day and night.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the daily work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or customer specifications and processes required of personnel so assigned.
Must complete an application to be considered for the position