ASSOCIATE CORPORATE COUNSEL
Associate Corporate Counsel
JBS USA is a leading global provider of diversified, high-quality food products, including a portfolio of well-recognized brands and innovative, easy-to-use food solutions. We process, prepare, package and deliver fresh and value-added premium meat, poultry and retail-ready food products for customers in approximately 100 countries on six continents. We are also the majority shareholder of Pilgrim’s, the largest poultry company in North America. JBS USA employs more than 100,000 team members, and our corporate office is located in beautiful Greeley, Colorado, where our 1,200 team members onsite enjoy more than 300 days of sunshine a year.
We are seeking a motivated and proactive lawyer to serve as Associate Corporate Counsel. Reporting to the Corporate Counsel, the lawyer in this role will serve as a generalist, acting as an integral member of the Company’s legal team by advising senior leaders on all legal matters affecting the Company, with a primary focus on safety & health matters. This position is based at our Corporate Headquarters in Greeley, CO.
- Work in tandem with HR and safety and health directors in responding to OSHA Complaints and Rapid Response Investigations
- Direct and coordinate internal investigations into severe incidents
- Negotiate and draft a wide variety of commercial contracts
- Manage and assist with all aspects of the litigation process, including assessing risk, developing strategy, partnering with outside counsel, reviewing pleadings, discovery, etc. with a particular focus on environmental matters
- Manage or assist in managing the offense, defense and negotiation of a wide variety of commercial and employment related matters and disputes
- Provide day-to-day business, employment, regulatory, UCC, securities, real estate, and safety & health law advice to Company employees and the Board of Directors
- Provide clear legal advice and practical business-focused solutions enabling the business to achieve its objectives while preserving and protecting the Company’s integrity and reputation
- Draft and review policies and procedures to improve the Company’s operations
- Other duties as assigned
- J. D. degree from an accredited U.S. law school with a strong academic record
- 3-6 years’ experience in a law firm or in-house role
- Admission to a U.S. bar (Colorado preferred)
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills, strong communication and presentation skills, and the ability to work well independently and on a team
- Excellent judgment, particularly in determining the significance of legal matters in tandem with business objectives
- Strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and flexibility, and the ability to interface effectively with personnel at all levels throughout the Company
- Ability to write in a universally-understandable and persuasive manner
- Ability to explain difficult legal concepts in plain terms
- Hold a genuine desire to add value through hard work
- Meld a long-term view of success while working with short-term urgency
- Humility and sincerity
The applicant who fills this position will be eligible for the following compensation and benefits:
- Benefits: Vision, Medical, and Dental coverage begin after 60 days of employment;
- Paid Time Off: sick leave, vacation, and 6 company observed holidays;
- 401(k): company match begins after the first year of service and follows the company vesting schedule;
- Base salary range of $90,000—$120,000; and
- This position is eligible to participate in the Company’s annual bonus plan, the amount of bonus varies and is subject to the standard terms and conditions of the incentive program;
For individuals assigned and/or hired to work in Colorado, JBS and Pilgrim’s is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. This compensation range is specific to the State of Colorado and takes into account various factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to a candidate’s relevant experience, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiencies for the role.
The Company is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our team members and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct a drug, alcohol, and background checks for all new team members post-offer and prior to the start of employment. It is a job expectation that all new employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Those who have, at minimum, the first of a two-dose vaccine in advance of their first date of employment will be required to receive the second dose within the manufacturers recommend timeframe and submit proof of their final vaccination dose once obtained. If you need assistance in obtaining a vaccine, the Company can help schedule you with one of its healthcare partners following a conditional job offer, if one is made. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.