Strategic Sourcing Manager - Resins
Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified manufacturer of advanced industrial technology. Specifically, we design and produce an array of highly engineered fasteners and components, equipment and consumable systems, and specialty products and equipment for customers around the world
Currently, we have an opening in for a Strategic Sourcing Manager-Resins located in our Carol Stream, Illinois, or Itasca, Illinois location, supporting 3 Divisions within the Specialty Products Segment. This position will support the Zip-Pak, Valeron and Hi-Cone Divisions for different grades of polyethylene and plastomer as well as other resin and additives.
Reports to: Specialty Products’ Segment Sourcing Director and dotted line to Division VP/GM’s
The role is responsible for supporting multiple divisions in developing, managing, analyzing and preparing recommendations on sourcing initiatives for Global Resin Purchases. Strategic sourcing managers play a key role in leading and understanding the sourcing process, developing and presenting insightful reports for the development of commodity sourcing strategy and participate in ITW/Division cross-functional sourcing teams/initiatives.
The position is responsible for $90M -$100M of global resin and plastomer spend. This individual must have a proven track record in assisting with negotiations, oversight of contracts, involvement with policy creation and high level issues. In this role, you will assist in developing and implementing Global Resin strategies and solutions that leverage the Division’s volumes and partnerships while providing consistently high levels of service in a cost-effective manner. You will be responsible of providing value and cost benefits across the Division’s, in a manner that considers time, cost, and quality.
- Work with key stakeholders and other personnel across three Specialty Products divisions to develop sourcing strategies for different grades of polyethylene and plastomer as well as other resins and additives.
- Understand divisional ‘80’ material science challenges and opportunities and then help facilitate valuable technology transfer when it’s appropriate
- Design, conduct and synthesize insightful supplier, industry and market research for assigned commodities to develop sourcing strategy
- Manage business relationship with key producers and distributors including business review, contract negotiation, price negotiation and etc.
- Identify major savings opportunities and develop action plans to achieve those goals while meeting local requirements standards. Develop concrete action plans for these initiatives
- Develop a deep understanding of assets and technologies required to manufacture PE. Assess technology and supply risk across current portfolio. With engineering, develop plans to mitigate risk over LRP cycle
- Engage with internal stakeholders and key suppliers to drive supply chain efficiency and/or technology collaboration; Share best practices, technologies that will help improve material yield, material availability and/or reduce transaction intensity.
- Develop productive relationships between division personnel and key suppliers.
- Coach and provide process expertise to all three divisions on secondary categories including corrugated, spools, freight, etc.
- Collaborate with ITW Strategic Sourcing Group in the development of resin strategies, suppliers, savings, etc
Top Required Competencies:
- Strategic and able to create a compelling vision
- Self motivated with independent thinking mindset
- Analytical Mindset
- Ability to influence without authority
- Project management and negotiation skills
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong strategic sourcing and procurement background or education with 6-8 years of resin sourcing experience
- Experience with Multi-site/Division support
- Has an advanced understanding of the global resin marketplace, their supply markets, suppliers and their markets, and application in management of supply base
- Applies advanced knowledge of supplier management to maintain relationships with established suppliers
- Has advanced understanding of contract management systems and procedures
- Demonstrates sound understanding and application of financial and management accounting principles within purchasing
- Demonstrates effective practical sourcing and negotiation skills and techniques and applies these regularly within the purchasing cycle
- Demonstrates solid written and verbal communication skills that may include high level stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Supply Chain. Technical background is strongly preferred
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with deep expertise in data analysis and management (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access).
- Excellent project management and negotiation skills
- Prior work experience in industrial environment and exposure to procurement desirable.
- Self-starter capable of working independently
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- High energy and enthusiasm with the ability to thrive in fast-paced environment
- Ideal candidate is entrepreneurial and driven by a new challenge
- Willingness to travel 20%-40%
EOE/AAF/M/D/V. ITW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.