Implementation Research Technical Advisor, USAID Youth Development Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Implementation Research Technical Advisor candidates for a global, cross-sectoral USAID Youth in Development Activity. This project will design and apply an approach to using implementation research to strengthen cross-sectoral positive youth development programming, help youth-led and youth-serving organizations use implementation research, and synthesize and promote findings broadly. The Implementation Research Technical Advisor will lead the program’s implementation research strategy, approach, and capacity-building. This position will be based in Kenya, Jordan, Tunisia, Washington, DC, or work remotely.
This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Develop a vision for and practical application of implementation research to strengthen evidence-based, cross-sectoral positive youth development programming.
- Co-lead a collaborative process to design, test, and iterate practical implementation research tools to be used by youth-led and youth-serving organizations around the globe.
- Provide individualized technical assistance and support to youth-led and youth-serving organizations and youth researchers as they use implementation research to learn and strengthen positive youth development programing.
- Build the capacity of project and partner staff to use implementation research tools and to help others do so.
- Support the design of subgrants, collaborative subgrants, and grant competitions focused on implementation research for cross-sectoral positive youth development programming.
- Provide technical guidance to collaborative events and initiatives to interrogate, synthesize, and apply research data and findings.
- Contribute to overall project work planning; monitoring, evaluation, and learning; and communications.
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff if applicable.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- At least three (3) years’ experience using implementation research, participatory action research, or related methodologies with local organizations in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, or Asia. Experience working with youth strongly preferred.
- Understanding of the youth development field and experience with positive youth development or similar programs in sectors such as youth economic opportunity, education, youth civic or political engagement, gender, and/or health.
- Experience developing user-friendly curricula and tools that are youth-friendly; experience with digital curricula and/or digital skill-building preferred.
- Demonstrated facilitation skills with widely diverse groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects in fast-paced work environments, and deliver high quality results under tight deadlines.
- Exceptional communication and emotional intelligence skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English is required.
- Master’s degree in a field related to implementation research and/or participatory action research in a field related to international development, youth development, education, health, or another relevant field.
Please click “Apply” below to submit your CV and cover letter for consideration.