Short- and Medium-Term Technical Consultants: TV and Radio Training Experts
POSITION TITLE: Short- and Medium-Term Technical Consultants: TV and Radio Training Experts
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
LOCATION: International; (IREX may require that certain training assignments be conducted remotely).
ABOUT IREX: IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
POSITION SUMMARY: IREX is seeking broadcast TV and radio technical experts and trainers to design and deliver on-site (on-the-job) trainings for Syrian media outlet partners supported through IREX’s Supporting Independent Media in Syria (SIMS) program. IREX has several program partners (both radio and TV) that provide Arabic-language broadcasts, including information and news programs, to Syrian audiences. Managers and staff at these stations have received varying levels of training; however, all will benefit from a broad spectrum of professional development in virtually every aspect of broadcast management, operations, and production.
IREX will select multiple candidates, on an ongoing basis, to coordinate training design and preparation, training and coaching sessions, and reporting/follow-up activities with SIMS lead media development consultants (“mentors”) assigned to specific SIMS partner stations. Training assignments will range in duration from less than one (1) week to one (1) year; however, consultant contracts may include multiple training assignments within a single scope of work. In most cases, trainers will be embedded within media outlets as part of training assignments. Under no circumstances will trainers be required or expected to travel within Syria.
IREX is seeking trainers with documented experience delivering on-site training in the following subject matter/skill areas:
- Editorial management
- News and/or program production
- Radio and television on-air presentation
- Digital audio and video editing
- Story production
- Multimedia production
- Video storytelling and production
- Program scheduling and formatting
- Technical broadcast operations (studio design, lighting, camera operations)
- Transmission engineering
- Radio and/or television management
- Sales and marketing strategy
- Social media integration
- Evaluation and application of audience research
- Financial management for media outlets
- Media business strategy
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
IREX will assign selected trainers to work with one or more SIMS partner stations on a given training assignment. Some training activities will require co-training among two or more selected trainers. Each assignment will be unique. Certain factors may change between assignments, such as the training site and/or beneficiaries, training topics and/or format, the number and/or experience level of trainees, IREX’s reporting requirements, the presence of co-trainers, and so on. Successful candidates will be able to establish and maintain collegial, supportive, and productive relationships with partner station management and staff, as well as other IREX/SIMS consultants and trainers.
Selected candidates will:
- Develop on-the-job training plans and schedules as directed by IREX and in coordination with SIMS lead media development consultants (“mentors”);
- Deliver on-the-job training at radio or television outlets (circumstances may occasionally require that training be delivered remotely);
- Provide IREX and beneficiary media outlets with recommendations for follow-up training, technical upgrades, and management decisions based on results of training interventions;
- Produce comprehensive, written, English-language reports, detailing activities undertaken within each training assignment, actions taken by beneficiary outlets as a result of training activities, recommendations for future training, and other information as requested by IREX; and,
- Perform other responsibilities as requested.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in television or radio in such roles as station general manager, program manager, journalist/reporter/correspondent, newsroom manager, editor/editor-in-chief, producer, presenter, technical engineer, or their equivalent (10+ years’ experience is strongly desired)
- Demonstrated experience as a trainer in broadcast television, radio, or a related field (3+ years’ experience is strongly desired)
- Experience working in political transition and conflict/post-conflict environments is preferred.
- Experience working in the MENA (Middle East/North Africa) geographic region is preferred.
- Ability to use and train others to use digital editing software applications is desired – Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Suite, and/or After Effects
- A high degree of professional reputation will be considered as part of candidates’ evaluation. Candidates should therefore include professional references within their CVs, ideally for the broadcast outlets at which they have radio and/or television work experience or for which they have delivered training.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent English-language writing skills for training assignment reports are required.
- Advanced or native fluency in Arabic is desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to work under pressure
- A strong commitment to IREX partners’ success
- Excellent communication skills and sensitivity toward those affected by conflict/displacement, needed to foster effective working relationships with IREX partner staff.
- Willingness to work in a flexible manner in terms of number of working hours, days of work; and,
- High ethical standards.
To Apply: Please send a resume and a cover letter that includes a daily rate to email@example.com. Add the word “Training Expert” in the subject of the email.
If you previously applied for this job posting (Short- and Medium-Term Technical Consultants: TV and Radio Training Experts), there is no need to reapply. Previous applicants to this solicitation are under consideration.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Application deadline: Shortlisted candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled or until further notice.