Senior Media Specialist, USAID/Jordan Sawt Civil Society Strengthening Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Senior Media Specialist candidates for the anticipated five-year USAID Sawt Civil Society Strengthening Activity in Jordan, which will aim to position Jordanian civil society and media to actively and effectively represent and advocate on behalf of citizen-driven interests. The Program is expected to work towards the following objectives: 1) Online media provides ethical and verifiable information that citizens can rely on for constructive contribution to civic discourse; 2) Citizens and civil society organizations effectively participate in civic spaces and advocate for policies through collective action; 3) CSOs demonstrate measurable improvements related to their networks, organizational development, and advocacy; 4) CSOs and media content creators more effectively serve marginalized communities.
Only citizens of Jordan or permanent residents authorized to work in Jordan will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the COP in providing strategic and technical leadership to the program
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local media organizations
- Ensure program activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor program staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Perform other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Jordanian citizenship or residency with work authorization
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; master’s degree preferred
- At least five (5) years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields in Jordan
- In-depth familiarity with the challenges faced by Jordanian media system actors
- Familiarity with the key government stakeholders, relevant private sector actors and civil society organizations working on media issues, and an understanding of the dynamics and relationships among them
- Substantial experience in implementing complex donor-funded media development projects
- Experience on USAID-funded project(s) highly preferred; knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively on the technical aspects of implementation with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Proven track record of working effectively with other projects, media and civil society, high-level host country host government counterparts, and other international partners
- Effective oral and written communication credentials
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- English fluency preferred
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV along with a cover letter that summarizes your experience and includes your salary range expectations.