Technical Support for Digital Media
Technical support for digital media – Call for application
About the project
IREX is implementing the USAID Strengthening Media Systems Project (SMS) in Serbia to improve the regulatory, legislative and economic environment for Serbian media. It aims to support the development of a more enabling legal, regulatory and market environment for media, as well as support the development of financial sustainability, innovation, and partnership in the Serbia sector.
We are aiming to provide on-site, and online expert support for small, local and regional independent media in Serbia, to promote (new, wide) partnerships and to help outlets to find a way towards financial sustainability through promoting and practicing change in their overall mindset, business models and content creation and distribution, with focus on media networking, community building and promotional activities.
About the position
IREX Serbia is searching for an individual/agency/company/consortium for providing technical support to selected media outlets to improve their web and mobile platforms, to maintain active online presence and to use digital tools to increase revenue and audience reach. The selected individual/agency/company/consortium will work closely with SMS staff in assisting outlets to implement new digital solutions and to gain better understanding of their news platforms with aim to enhance audience reach and engagement and publish content that could be monetized.
Duties and responsibilities
- Set up, adapt and support web platform(s) based on an open source content management system (CMS) such as WordPress;
- Provide remote technical support to maintain web platforms and mobile apps of the media outlets;
- Design or re-design websites/webpages/mobile apps of the media outlets;
- Design graphic user interface elements (menus, CFA buttons, tabs, widgets etc.);
- Provide UI/UX design for websites/webpages/apps;
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems that exist on media outlets digital platforms;
- Provide basic training in day-to-day CMS usage and website editing;
- Apply basic SEO elements for websites/webpages/apps;
- Apply basic security and privacy protection principles for the digital platforms of the media outlets;
- Install/implement digital tools (e.g. payment gateways, ad serving tools, analytics/social media and other tracking cookies etc.);
- Assess and provide support (if needed) in maintaining hosting/cloud platforms and/or domain name registration for the media outlets; and
- Submit a final report and all the materials created with/for the media outlets during the process.
Expected outcomes of the expert support
- Participants in trainings will be able to integrate and use basic features of web platforms in day-to-day work;
- Media outlets will be equipped with up-to-date, functional and flexible web and mobile platforms;
- Media outlets will be able to receive online payments through their websites/apps;
- Outlets will have implemented best practices of UI/UX that fit the needs of their specific audiences;
- Media outlets will have reliable tech support when needed; and
- Media outlets will be able to publish new content formats that can be used for increasing reach, deeper audience engagement and monetization.
March – August 2019
Required skills and qualifications
- Ability to use and train others to use open source CMS (WordPress);
- Experience in open source-based CMS (e.g. Drupal, Joomla, WordPress);
- Demonstrated understanding and application of UX/UI principles;
- Web programming and web designing skills;
- Expertise in photo editing/design software;
- Proven understanding of Serbian media landscape and the environment in which Serbian media are operating; and
- Languages: fluency in Serbian and English.
Application and deadline
Interested service providers - individuals and companies – are invited to submit the following documents:
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience and detailed description of roles and responsibilities for this assignment;
- Relevant working experience (single page document) - with examples of their previous work relevant for this assignment with three references;
Requested materials must be submitted no later than February 18, 2019 in electronic form to the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IREX may at its discretion ask for additional information. Issuing this call does not commit IREX or the USAID Strengthening Media Systems Project to select any proposal/expert. IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and consultant performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected experts.
USAID Strengthening Media Systems (SMS) Project
Uzun Mirkova 3, 11000 Belgrade, Republic of Serbia