Chief of Party, USAID Liberia Media Support Project
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded media support project in Liberia. The Chief of Party will be based in Monrovia and will oversee all project aspects and ensure that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the project
- Serve as principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, project beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of project activities
- Represent IREX publicly and supports its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 7-10 years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields, with experience working in Liberia or the region strongly preferred
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded media development project management experience)
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Demonstrated understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in Liberia, as well as of the current issues (press freedom, market conditions, regulatory/legal reform) facing the media sector
- Experience convening diverse stakeholders to address legal and regulatory media reforms and/or emerging technological issues affecting the media sector
- Experience working with private and public sector partners to leverage additional sources of funding to meet project objectives
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- English language fluency is required, including the ability to provide written reporting in English for the project
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV along with a cover letter that summarizes your experience and includes your salary range requirements.