Deputy Chief of Party, USAID Resilient Governance in Niger
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Deputy Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program in Niger which will address locally-driven approaches to enhance the effectiveness of municipal governments, including service delivery, accountability and ability to mobilize financial and human resources, as well as encouraging citizen engagement in communal governance. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will be based in Niamey and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to provide technical and management support to the program.
Only citizens of Niger or third-country nationals living and authorized to work in Niger will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- In coordination with COP, provide vision and strategic guidance to the program and the team
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government officials at the national and local level, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- In collaboration with COP, develop annual workplans and manage implementation
- Work closely with COP and program staff to ensure deliverables are being met and support staff adhere to plans and deadlines
- Work closely with COP to ensure successful and on-time day-to-day management and seamless integration of program activities
- Provide technical expertise in local/municipal governance or decentralization to support excellence in program implementation
- Supervise, manage, and mentor program staff
- Maintain familiarity with agreement requirements and monitor compliance, deliverables, and deadlines
- Contribute to effective monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party in the Chief of Party’s absence
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in a related field
- At least eight (8) years of progressive experience, including management experience, in international development, with experience working in Niger and/or the West African region strongly preferred
- At least three years in a relevant technical position dealing with local/municipal governance or decentralization
- Deep contextual understanding of municipal governance in Niger required
- Demonstrated program management expertise and excellent understanding of USG regulations and compliance issues
- Substantial experience with financial management on program implementation
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop staff, prepare and manage workplans, and plan strategically and creatively to meet specified objectives
- Experience with donor-funded program monitoring and evaluation plans, reporting, communications, and outreach preferred
- Superior writing, editing, and oral presentation skills evidenced by professional experience
- Strong organizational skills including ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French required; proficiency in Arabic, Hausa and/or local languages a plus
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV in ENGLISH for consideration.