Strategic Planning Expert
Expert for strategic planning - call for application
About the project
IREX is implementing the USAID Strengthening Media Systems Project (SMS) in Serbia to improve the regulatory, legislative and economic environment for Serbian media. It aims to support the development of a more enabling legal, regulatory and market environment for media, as well as support the development of financial sustainability, innovation, and partnership in the Serbia sector.
We are aiming to provide on-site, and online expert support for small, local and regional independent media in Serbia, to promote (new, wide) partnerships and to help outlets to find a way towards financial sustainability through promoting and practicing change in their overall mindset, business models and content creation and distribution, with focus on media networking, community building and promotional activities.
About the position
The Expert for strategic planning will work with SMS staff in analyzing the work of selected media outlets and providing them support in re-organizing their work and developing strategic and business plans for a three-year period.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct initial research about the background and internal working processes in selected media outlets;
- Prepare a methodology, timeline, agenda and materials for the strategic planning process;
- Convene analyses including but not limited to: PEST (local), SWOT, stakeholder, market and program portfolio;
- Analyze the current internal organizational capacities of the selected media outlets and identify potential areas for added training or mentoring;
- Support media outlets in developing their vision, mission and strategic objectives;
- Support the outlets in developing their specific objectives, organizational/staff development priorities and key performance indicators;
- Coordinate and work with SMS experts on business development;
- Create three-year strategic and business plans for the selected media outlets;
- Create one-year action plans for selected media outlets that include organizational/staff development;
- Submit a final report and all the materials created with/for the media outlets during the process.
Expected outcomes of the expert support
- Participants in the strategic planning process training have common understanding and motivation to pursue the vision, mission, strategic and business objectives of the media outlet they are working in;
- Selected media outlets have developed their strategic and business plans for a three-year period and have proven their dedication to accomplish the goals that were set in this process; and
- Media outlets have developed one-year action plans and allocated time and resources for their implementation.
March – August 2019
Required skills and qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in processes of strategic planning and management;
- Proven understanding of Serbian media landscape and the environment in which Serbian media are operating;
- Demonstrated analytical, communication and research skills;
- Experience in working with the media outlets would be considered as an advantage; and
- Languages: fluency in Serbian and English.
Application and deadline
Interested service providers - individuals and companies – are invited to submit the following documents:
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience and detailed description of roles and responsibilities for this assignment;
- Relevant working experience (single page document) - with examples of their previous work relevant for this assignment with three references;
- Concept proposal (single page document) - that briefly describes their vision on how this activity may be implemented.
Requested materials must be submitted not later than February 18, 2019 in electronic form to the email email@example.com.
IREX may at its discretion ask for additional information.
Issuing this call does not commit IREX or the USAID Strengthening Media Systems Project to select any proposal/expert.
IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and contractor performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected expert/s.
USAID Strengthening Media Systems (SMS) Project
Uzun Mirkova 3, 11000 Belgrade, Republic of Serbia