Expert for crowdfunding – call for application
About the project
IREX is implementing the USAID Strengthening Media Systems Project (SMS) in Serbia to improve the regulatory, legislative and economic environment for Serbian media. It aims to support the development of a more enabling legal, regulatory and market environment for media, as well as support the development of financial sustainability, innovation, and partnership in the Serbia sector.
We are aiming to provide on-site and online expert support for small, local and regional independent media in Serbia, to promote (new, wide) partnerships and to help outlets to find a way towards financial sustainability through promoting and practicing change in their overall mindset, business models and content creation and distribution, with focus on media networking, community building and promotional activities.
About the position
The expert for crowdfunding will work with SMS staff in educating and training on crowdfunding and collecting donations as an additional revenue stream for the selected media outlets from Serbia. This individual/company/organization will support the selected media outlets in implementing their own crowdfunding/donation campaign.
Duties and responsibilities
- Deliver analyses of selected media outlets’ capacity for collecting money online, research their audiences and map opportunities for implementing crowdfunding campaigns;
- Provide education and training on crowdfunding with additional follow-up activities and tasks for the selected media outlets;
- Develop a strategy and an action plan for a one-off or a long-term crowdfunding campaign and/or a subscription model, with defined goals, target groups, key messages and narratives created, identified marketing tools and channels etc.
- Develop a communications and marketing plan with a clear division of roles and responsibilities and an integrated campaign concept, with cooperation and participation of the selected media outlets;
- Plan and produce content (video, photo, text) together with the people from the media outlets;
- Provide online and on-site support to the selected outlets during campaign implementation:
- Social media content and promotion
- Community management
- Offline event strategy and assistance
- Visual communications
- Consulting and mentorship throughout the campaign;
- Provide technical support for implementing e-payment or donations systems on a selected media outlet’s website
- Provide support to the selected media outlets to comply with all the banking and legal procedures required for enabling this payment system; and
- Submit a final report and all the materials created with/for the media outlets during the process.
Expected outcomes of the expert support
- Selected media outlets are educated on how to implement a crowdfunding or donations collecting campaign on their own;
- A one-off crowdfunding campaign is implemented and an intended amount of money is collected, or a permanent donations/subscription system is applied on a media outlet’s website;
March – May 2019
Required skills and qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in training and education;
- Successful track record in implementing crowdfunding campaigns for media outlets;
- Proven understanding of Serbian media landscape and the environment in which Serbian media are operating;
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in marketing, digital content production and strategic planning;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of legal and regulatory background for e-payments and crowdfunding in Serbia; and
- Languages: fluency in Serbian and English.
Application and deadline
Interested service providers - individuals and companies – are invited to submit the following documents:
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience and detailed description of roles and responsibilities for this assignment;
- Relevant working experience (single page document) - with examples of their previous work relevant for this assignment with three references;
- Concept proposal (single page document) - that briefly describes their vision on how this activity may be implemented.
Requested materials must be submitted no later than February 18, 2019 in electronic form to the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IREX may at its discretion ask for additional information. Issuing this call does not commit IREX or the USAID Strengthening Media Systems Project to select any proposal/expert. IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and consultant performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected experts.
USAID Strengthening Media Systems (SMS) Project
Uzun Mirkova 3, 11000 Belgrade, Republic of Serbia