English/Arabic translators and interpreters
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks English-Arabic/Arabic-English translators AS WELL AS Kurdish - English/Arabic translators and interpreters to work remotely from their home-base, or to accompany in-person trainers when travel restrictions allow in the future. Selected translators will be responsible for transcription/translation of radio and television news and non-news programs. This includes news bulletins and summaries, as well as current – affairs, magazine and feature programs. Selected interpreters will be responsible for consecutive interpretation of on-site and remote assessments and on-site and remote trainings Preferred candidates will ideally have experience providing services to media clients, as well as knowledge of the terminology used in media reporting and programming. Candidates should be able to process information quickly and concisely and recognize sensitive cultural differences. The position may include support for multiple media development programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide accurate, detailed, and timely written Arabic-English/English-Arabic OR Kurdish-English/Arabic transcription/translation (as requested) of news, television programs, reports, emails, social media, and website articles;
- Provide accurate, detailed, and timely spoken Arabic-English/English-Arabic OR Kurdish-English/Arabic consecutive interpretation (as requested) of media outlet assessments and trainings including remotely and possibly in-person in Germany and Turkey;
- Respond to IREX’s e-mails and other types of communication for clarifications, edits, and corrections as and if needed;
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Certification in English-Arabic-English/ English-Kurdish interpretation/translation preferred;
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in translation preferred [please provide references for any translation services performed];
- Previous experience providing translation services for radio and television production organizations preferred [please provide references from applicable radio and television production organizations];
Willingness to work in a flexible manner in terms of number of working hours, days of work.
To Apply: Please send a resume and a cover letter, including the translation rates to [email protected]. Add “Translator” and/or “interpreter” in the subject of the email.
Application deadline: Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to undertake a written test and a verbal interview.