Finance and Administration Officer
Date Revised: October 7, 2019
Practice: Information & Media
Position Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: Riga, Latvia
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
In partnership with local universities, the Media Literacy in the Baltics program will support future media professionals to provide audiences with quality journalism and heightened awareness of disinformation. The program will also adapt IREX’s Learn to Discern (L2D) approach to media literacy for citizens which employs a hands-on training methodology to build critical information consumption skills, so that people are better able to identify manipulation, distinguish disinformation from facts, and engage with and responsibly share content across various forms of media.
Under the supervision of the IREX/Latvia Program Manager, the Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for the administrative and financial support of IREX/Latvia and the Media Literacy in the Baltics project including financial reporting, procurement, payment processing, logistics, and operations. The Finance & Administration Officer will support the program staff in preparing financial reports, maintaining currency flow control, office administration, and purchasing.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Primary responsibility for implementing financial policies and procedures in IREX/Latvia office;
- Primary bookkeeping responsibility for establishing, maintaining, and reconciling the IREX/Latvia office ledger;
- Primary responsibility for maintaining financial systems including internal controls and funds management in IREX/Latvia office;
- Ensuring transactions are properly recorded and reported through the QuickBooks accounting software system;
- Preparing and reconciling bank statements and accounts;
- Maintaining and monitoring all active accounts to ensure accurate records of all project funds;
- Preparing and processing payments;
- Preparing payment reconciliations;
- Assisting in preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and transaction reports;
- Preparation of all yearly financial records for IREX global audit;
- Maintaining all computerized accounting systems and records;
- Submitting monthly financial reports to senior staff members;
- Preparing financial forecasts;
- Preparing expense reports for IREX office and project staff;
- Ensuring compliance with donor and IREX policies and procedures as well as local law in all IREX expenditures;
- Assisting in inputting budget information into office data systems;
- Maintaining financial files and records;
- Managing office petty cash;
- Ensuring that all procurement is in compliance with local government, U.S. Government and IREX regulations;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Coordinating and directing administrative support functions in IREX/Latvia office;
- Processing VAT returns and all other local tax obligations to the appropriate local government agencies;
- Preparing contracts for local staff and consultants per local law and IREX policies;
- Ensuring compliance with donor and IREX policies and procedures as well as local law in all contracts, agreements, and sub agreements before they are signed, including but not limited to selection procedures; documentation requirements, compliance with approval authorizations and authorization levels;
- Coordinating maintenance of IREX/Latvia registration with the required governing bodies;
- Maintaining the office payroll records and managing employee payment;
- Processing all payroll tax obligations to the appropriate local government agencies;
- Managing all office Human Resource files;
- Managing IREX employee health insurance policy;
- Assisting with office inventory;
- Managing office facilities and lease;
- Other duties as assigned.
Project Specific Duties (as assigned)
- Providing administrative, financial, and logistical support to Media Literacy in the Baltics;
- Supporting coordination of programmatic operations and logistics between Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia;
- Coordinating selection, support, and monitoring of Media Literacy in the Baltics subgrants portfolio;
- Assistance with logistics of programmatic activities;
- Providing support for programmatic event logistics and payments as required;
- Preparation of project financial forecasts and assistance in inputting budget information into office data systems;
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree/diploma in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field, or relevant experience;
- Experience managing finances and operations for international NGO programs, experience with managing USG funding a plus;
- Experience with project financial management including financial controls, subgrants management, accounting and audits, as well as reporting on accruals, pipeline, and expense validation and reimbursement to service providers;
- 3 years of experience working with NGOs in finance and administration or other knowledge of relevant tasks is preferred;
- Ability to multitask efficiently and work within a team;
- Advanced computer skills – proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Quick Books preferred;
- Excellent cross-cultural and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English, Latvian, and Russian.
IREX conducts anti- terrorism database clearances on candidates who accept employment offers. IREX is also an E-Verify Employer.
IREX is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and inclusive hiring practice. IREX is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE