Chief of Party, USAID/Jordan Sawt Civil Society Strengthening Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for the anticipated five-year USAID Sawt Civil Society Strengthening Activity in Jordan. USAID Sawt: A Voice for Civic Engagement aims to position Jordanian civil society and media to actively and effectively represent and advocate on behalf of citizen-driven interests. The Program is expected to work towards the following objectives: 1) Online media provides ethical and verifiable information that citizens can rely on for constructive contribution to civic discourse; 2) Citizens and civil society organizations effectively participate in civic spaces and advocate for policies through collective action; 3) CSOs demonstrate measurable improvements related to their networks, organizational development, and advocacy; 4) CSOs and media content creators more effectively serve marginalized communities. The Chief of Party (COP) will be based in Amman and will provide overall leadership and management oversight for USAID Sawt in Jordan ensuring strong collaboration with partners, civil society, media, and other key stakeholders. The COP will serve as the program’s principal contact point for USAID/Jordan, and will oversee all aspects of program performance, both technical and managerial, ensuring that IREX procedures are adhered to for activity development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, procurement, budgeting, and financial accounting. The COP will supervise the recruitment, hiring, and management of local staff and consultants. The COP will provide supervision of implementing partners, ensuring timely progress against schedules, achievement of deliverables, and quality of results.
This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program and the team, deploying innovative and adaptive program implementation that engages a wide range of stakeholders while effectively meeting donor deliverables
- Provide strategic and technical leadership for the design and implementation of activities in areas such as citizen engagement, civil society and media strengthening, organizational performance improvement, network-building, accountability and advocacy
- Provide support and direction for the provision of technical assistance and the management of grants for local partners, including the development of capacity-building tools and tracking systems as needed
- Serve as the Program’s principal liaison with USAID/Jordan, as well as with key partners and stakeholders in Jordan
- Develop workplans through participatory and collaborative processes, oversee workplan implementation, responsively adapting to changes and lessons learned throughout implementation
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships for the successful implementation of the program
- Ensure activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Identify issues and risks to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments
- Supervise, manage, and mentor the program’s Jordan staff, in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee program budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities; promote a culture of learning and adaptation across the program and partners
- Oversee program communications and represent the program publicly
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree (Master or higher preferred) in social sciences, international development, media, or related fields
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in development at a senior program management level, including direct supervision of professional and support staff
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, or implementing USAID-funded programs
- Demonstrated ability to develop and foster relationships with local partners and counterparts, preferably in Jordan or the MENA region
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with local civil society and/or media organizations, experience in advocacy, network-building, and capacity building for civil society and/or media organizations, preferably in Jordan or the MENA region
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills, strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent written and spoken English, Arabic language is a plus
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration, preferably along with a cover letter which summarizes your qualifications and states your salary expectations.