Senior Machine Learning Engineer
IPSY is a creative and fast-growing beauty company headquartered in San Mateo, CA. We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer for our Personalization team. Machine learning is essential for IPSY to achieve our goal of personalizing all aspects of customer experience. The models we build and deploy affect millions of users. What makes IPSY a unique and exciting place to work on machine learning is that we collect a large number of deep user features that are not available to typical eCommerce companies, allowing us to build better models and make better recommendations.
You will be responsible for developing custom machine learning models from our comprehensive data sets and guiding how those models impact our growing member base of several million. Are you are a hands-on engineer with a real passion for learning and innovation? Do you thrive in a fluid, high-performance, and ambitious environment? If so, this role is for you.
- You have a strong foundation in machine learning algorithms with a broad understanding of Recommender Systems, Supervised/Unsupervised Learning Algorithms, Optimization, Graphical Models, and Learning Theory.
- Minimum of 5 years of applied research experience with successful track record of deploying machine learned models into real-world settings.
- Working knowledge and experience in distributed frameworks (e.g. Hadoop and Spark).
- Working knowledge of open source machine learning libraries (e.g. Scikit-learn, MLlib, TensorFlow, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field strongly preferred.
- Strong overall programming ability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- You are curios and seek out challenging problems (e.g. Skewness of data, Sampling bias, Set vs. Ordering).
- Technical publication history in prestigious international conferences and journals.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing and Text Representations.
- Experience with software development (Java, Scala, Python, C++, or C#).
- Experience with Combinatorial Optimization or Integer Programming.
- Experience with SQL (e.g. Hive SQL, PostgreSQL).
- Familiar with ETL and big data tools (e.g. AWS, AirFlow).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
IPSY was founded with one singular mission: to inspire individuals around the world to express their unique beauty. That’s how the IPSY Glam Bag came to life. With five products personalized for you—plus articles, videos, and more on ipsy.com—you’re free to try new things and express who you are. IPSY Shopper takes our mission to the next level by making beauty more accessible, rewarding, and liberating than ever before. And with IPSY Gen Beauty, Open Studios, and all the creator content that we post each day, our intention has remained the same: to give every individual the tools to form their own definition of beauty. With over 3M members and 8K digital content creators in our community, and generating over half a billion monthly content views, we’re just getting started.
IPSY is headquartered in the Bay Area with an office in New York City and a studio production and editing facility in Los Angeles. The company achieved profitability in its first year and raised a series B round of $100M with Sherpa Capital and TPG in 2015. We owe all of our success to our inspiring, energizing employees who make exceptional things happen every single day—fearless thinking, tenacity, and a pioneering spirit push us forward. From marketing and media to engineering and operations, we are united in our goal to democratize beauty, making it accessible and affordable for everyone and fearlessly representing individuality and inclusivity. We dream. We empower. We create. And we have great fun doing it together.