IPSY is the largest beauty subscription in the world, with over 3 million monthly members, and the first brand to combine a rich community platform with a highly personalized commerce experience. Headquartered in San Mateo, with offices in New York and Santa Monica, IPSY brings together a diverse group of rule-breaking thinkers and creative problem solvers with a penchant for getting things done. From Marketing and Media to Engineering and Operations, we stand together to celebrate individuality and inclusivity—and we’re just getting started.
About the Role:
We are looking for a highly motivated and influential Assistant Controller to join the Accounting team to drive scalability and operational excellence! You will be an inspiring leader to the Finance team by evaluating current infrastructure, processes, and controls to identify areas of improvement, innovation, and additional investment and drive efficiency through automation and streamlining accounting processes.
Are you a collaborative teammate, a builder, and a mentor, with a proven track record of scaling the accounting function through hyper-growth preferably in a public company? Do you have a strong working knowledge of accounting systems, processes, U.S. GAAP, and internal controls? If so, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Support the full cycle general ledger monthly close process and related activities to ensure all accounts are US GAAP compliant
- Meet deadlines in line with the company’s policies and procedures
- Draft and implement key policies and procedures and drive implementation and training of new accounting standards
- Maintain the relationship with external auditors, provide pragmatic solutions and alternatives to challenging audit requests and inquiries
- Collaborate cross-functionally to build streamlined and scalable processes and achieve maximum efficiency to support growth
- Benchmark and coordinate with industry peers on standard methodologies related to accounting, systems, policies, and processes
- Participate in key strategic initiatives and assist with other ad hoc projects
- Ownership of monthly flux variance analysis and thorough understanding of accounts
- Collaborate with the Legal and HR team to communicate stock option materials, compliance, grant process, and management report
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of relevant work experience driving the corporate accounting policies and processes. Ideally with Big 4, public company and IPO experience (4+ years at a Big 4 public accounting firm at the Manager+ level)
- Retail/B2C experience (inventory, shipping/receiving, e-Commerce sales, etc.). Comprehensive understanding of inventory and cash management
- Problem-solving, project management and decision-making capacity in a dynamic environment
- Experience in leading successful system implementations for growth and scalability. Experience with NetSuite preferred
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP, SOX 404, and SEC reporting standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization, from staff to executives, and manage relationships with external parties
- Experiences in SEC filings, GAAP reporting requirements, maintenance of appropriate documentation to support all disclosures in SEC filings
Bonus if You Have:
- Very organized
- Team development
- Love to sharpen the leadership pencil
- Enjoy influencing others
- Strong EQ
- Compartmentalize problem into solvable bits
- Hold others and yourself accountable to complete tasks
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary & equity grants
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- Annual bonus program
- Paid time off & work from home flexibility
- Free Glam Bag Plus subscription
- Learning & development programs
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact us.