Director of Machine Learning
IPSY is an innovative fast-growing beauty company headquartered in San Mateo, CA. We are looking for a Data Science/Machine Learning expert to lead our growing Personalization team. You will lead our machine learning engineers in building custom models from our comprehensive datasets, and guide how those models will impact our growing member base of several million.
Do you enjoy being hands-on, can thrive in a fluid, high-performance entrepreneurial environment, have a passion for innovating and learning? If so, we want to hear from you!
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field.
- Strong knowledge of supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods.
- Successful track record of deploying machine learned models into real-world settings.
- Hands-on experience with predictive modeling.
- Experience scaling algorithms to handle large datasets.
- Working knowledge of machine learning libraries, e.g. Scikit-learn, MLlib, TensorFlow, etc.
- Strong overall programming ability.
- Strong communication skills.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on machine learning experience.
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing a team of 5+ people.
- Strong track record of publishing in top-tier Machine Learning and Data Mining journals and/or conferences such as NIPS, ICML, KDD, WSDM, and RecSys.
- Experience working with big data tools (distributed computing and analytics tools), e.g. Hadoop or Spark.
- Experience with software development (Java, Scala, Python, C++, or C#).
- Experience with Recommender Systems, Personalization, or Search.
- Experience with Combinatorial Optimization or Integer Programming.
- Experience with SQL (e.g. Hive SQL, PostgreSQL).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
IPSY was founded with one singular mission: to inspire individuals around the world to express their unique beauty. That’s how the IPSY Glam Bag came to life. With five products personalized for you—plus articles, videos, and more on ipsy.com—you’re free to try new things and express who you are. IPSY Shopper takes our mission to the next level by making beauty more accessible, rewarding, and liberating than ever before. And with IPSY Gen Beauty, Open Studios, and all the creator content that we post each day, our intention has remained the same: to give every individual the tools to form their own definition of beauty. With over 3M members and 8K digital content creators in our community, and generating over half a billion monthly content views, we’re just getting started.
IPSY is headquartered in the Bay Area with an office in New York City and a studio production and editing facility in Los Angeles. The company achieved profitability in its first year and raised a series B round of $100M with Sherpa Capital and TPG in 2015. We owe all of our success to our inspiring, energizing employees who make exceptional things happen every single day—fearless thinking, tenacity, and a pioneering spirit push us forward. From marketing and media to engineering and operations, we are united in our goal to democratize beauty, making it accessible and affordable for everyone and fearlessly representing individuality and inclusivity. We dream. We empower. We create. And we have great fun doing it together.