Director of Machine Learning
IPSY is the largest beauty subscription in the world, with over 3 million monthly members, and the first brand to combine a rich community platform with a highly personalized commerce experience. Headquartered in San Mateo, with offices in New York and Santa Monica, IPSY brings together a diverse group of rule-breaking thinkers and creative problem solvers with a penchant for getting things done. From Marketing and Media to Engineering and Operations, we stand together to celebrate individuality and inclusivity—and we’re just getting started.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Data Science/Machine Learning expert to lead our growing Personalization team. You will lead our machine learning engineers in building custom models from our comprehensive data sets, and guide how those models will impact our growing member base of several million.
Do you enjoy being hands-on, can thrive in a fluid, high-performance entrepreneurial environment, and have a passion for innovating and learning? If so, we want to hear from you!
What We’re Looking For:
- Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field
- Strong knowledge of supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods
- Successful track record of deploying machine learned models into real-world settings
- Hands-on experience with predictive modeling
- Experience scaling algorithms to handle large datasets
- Working knowledge of machine learning libraries, e.g. Scikit-learn, MLlib, TensorFlow, etc.
- Strong overall programming ability
- Strong communication skills
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on machine learning experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing a team of 5+ people
- Strong track record of publishing in top-tier Machine Learning and Data Mining journals and/or conferences such as NIPS, ICML, KDD, WSDM, and RecSys
Bonus if You Have:
- Experience working with big data tools (distributed computing and analytics tools), e.g. Hadoop or Spark
- Experience with software development (Java, Scala, Python, C++, or C#)
- Experience with Recommender Systems, Personalization, or Search
- Experience with Combinatorial Optimization or Integer Programming
- Experience with SQL (e.g. Hive SQL, PostgreSQL)
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary & equity grants
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- Annual bonus program
- Paid time off & work from home flexibility
- Free Glam Bag Plus subscription
- Learning & development programs
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.