Director of Merchandising
IPSY is the largest beauty subscription in the world, with over 3 million monthly members, and the first brand to combine a rich community platform with a highly personalized commerce experience. Headquartered in San Mateo, with offices in New York and Santa Monica, IPSY brings together a diverse group of rule-breaking thinkers and creative problem solvers with a penchant for getting things done. From Marketing and Media to Engineering and Operations, we stand together to celebrate individuality and inclusivity—and we’re just getting started.
About the Role:
We are looking for a hardworking and strategic Director of Merchandising, who will be a key member of the leadership team driving IPSY into its next stage of growth!
You will focus on furthering IPSY’s mission to inspire individuals around the world to express their unique beauty by developing, owning and executing our Merchandising strategy. You will also be tasked with developing and communicating a merchandising vision, monitoring the competitive landscape, conducting market research related to IPSY’s product assortment, and working closely with the VP of Brand Partnerships and Head of the Glam Bag Portfolio to delight our 3M+ members monthly.
Are you analytical, inventive, creative, and love beauty? If so, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop IPSY’s merchandising vision and communicating that vision with leadership
- Delight the IPSY community by evolving the merchandising strategy to align with shifting trends and member sentiment
- Partner with the Brand Partnerships team to get the best brands and products to our members
- Keep senior management informed of merchandising strategies, wins, and challenges
- Partner with Head of different membership businesses to deliver product COGs targets and ideal merchandise assortment to deliver a delightful and personalized experience
- Ensure a personalized member experience by ensuring thoughtful inputs for IPSY’s personalization process
- Ensuring the best education/information is shared with our members
- Lead a team of merchants with expertise in color, tools, skincare and haircare categories. Coach them to excellence
- Expand into new merchandise categories as IPSY evolves the business
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree required and an MBA from a premier school preferred
- 10+ years of work experience with experience as either a Divisional Merchandise Manager or Director of Merchandising is a requirement. Beauty merchandising experience strongly preferred
- Committed to the member experience
- Experience analyzing markets and trends, anticipating and finding opportunities and developing strategic insights
- You have extraordinary organizational and time-management abilities (a lover of lists and timelines). Excellent work ethic and sense of ownership and accountability
- Confirmed ability to work within a dynamic, startup environment. Stays calm and collected under pressure, while making quick decisions
- Excellent business discernment and quantitative skills
- Clear demonstration of internal cross-functional partnership and collaboration
- You have strong social skills; excellent presentation and written communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Docs
- You have a real passion for beauty and our mission
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary & equity grants
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- Annual bonus program
- Paid time off & work from home flexibility
- Free Glam Bag Plus subscription
- Learning & development programs
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact us.