Principal Engineer, Services and Platforms
IPSY is the largest beauty subscription in the world, with over 3 million monthly members, and the first brand to combine a rich community platform with a highly personalized commerce experience. Headquartered in San Mateo, with offices in New York and Santa Monica, IPSY brings together a diverse group of rule-breaking thinkers and creative problem solvers with a penchant for getting things done. From Marketing and Media to Engineering and Operations, we stand together to celebrate individuality and inclusivity—and we’re just getting started.
About the Role:
We are looking for an experienced Principal Engineer to help guide our Services and Platform teams. Are you an engineering leader interested in driving engineering excellence? If so, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work with members, fellow engineers, architects, product management, etc. to articulate and shape the technical roadmap, drive ambitious product directions, and seek out innovative opportunities that have high impact in a fast paced market
- Design and develop highly scalable, 24/7 high volume back-end for consumer web and mobile applications
- Deliver on projects from start to end (documentation to production-grade code to support procedures) in an agile development process
- Work with DevOps and QA to build and maintain outstanding Engineering process
- Mentor and develop engineers to build a strong engineering bench
- Promote a culture of innovation, pride, performance, and focused execution
- Help recruit and maintain excellent and diverse engineering talent
What We’re Looking For:
- Seasoned engineer with a minimum of 15+ years of engineering experience with a track record of developing and delivering complex, distributed, enterprise-class software, and create successful business outcomes
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in startup-like and highly dynamic environments
- Domain expertise in one or more of the following: microservices, AWS
- Experience working with fellow senior engineers, product management, senior management and stakeholders (including open source communities) to set vision and define technical roadmaps
- Ability to lead and mentor engineers globally, be a champion for creative technical trends. Acknowledged for driving decisions collaboratively, resolving conflicts and ensuring follow-through
- An extraordinarily passionate, intelligent and rigorous thinker who can operate successfully among very bright and charismatic people
- Equally comfortable and capable interacting with technologists as with business executives
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both written and oral
- Experience with data pipelines, ETLs, event pipelines, and other big data infrastructure
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience
Bonus if You Have:
- Expertise in monolith-to-microservice migrations
- Experience with subscription and/or e-commerce platforms at scale
- Expertise analytics, machine learning systems, and personalization
- Experience with Spring Boot, Rails, or other modern application frameworks
We are an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact us.