Director of Software Engineering
Director of Software Engineering
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for providing guidance and direction to global software engineering teams and leading software development.
They work closely with leaders of functional groups (such as Product Marketing and Engineering) to ensure the development of API infrastructure and software platform that provides strategic value for the organization. The Director will be responsible for technology strategy, software engineering oversight, process improvement, risk mitigation, budget management, and hiring. We need someone who can inspire and coach software engineering team members.
What We're Looking For - technical skills and background:
- 10+ years of recent server-side experience in technologies such as Node JS, Golang, or Java; experience in front-end technologies such as React, Vue, Angular and Backbone
- Experience with OOP and software design skills
- Strong ability to develop systems that meet architectural objectives including reusable, scalable code
- Experience leading small teams or serving as a technical lead within an organization
- Self-motivated and creative problem-solvers who love to challenge themselves
- Build Software with API and Code first approach. Practical experience in delivering software and services leveraging cloud infrastructure, in particular Google Cloud.
- Proficiency in Cloud operations and building cloud-agnostic applications.
- CI/CD workflows such as: Jenkins, Dev/Ops, GitFlow
- SCRUM/KANBAN boards and workflows. Project management with JIRA.
- We need someone who can give feedback (both positive and constructively critical). Communicate clearly and concisely to implement leading/best practices and processes to ensure alignment across the Engineering teams.
- We need someone who knows how to work in and out of organizational boundaries. You will need to positively work through situations of healthy conflict when they occur.
- We need someone who will own ensure our teams continually create software that solves business problems. You will need to ensure our teams develop software in the right way. You will need to make sure our organization continues to improve (“Continuous Improvement”).
- We need someone who can promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional growth.
- Leadership and management of managers responsible for engineering teams and providing overall technical direction. Provide professional development and mentorship to managers and team members.
- Establish software engineering standards and guidelines for software engineering organization.
- Conceives team structure and constantly seeks opportunities to adjust team structure to maximize agility and efficiency.
- Manage off-shore vendor engineering teams and projects.
- Champion communications on technology and strategic initiatives
- Establish a fun, creative and enjoyable environment balanced with strong collaboration and productivity.
- Present issues and risks, and their business impact to management in a timely manner with proposed mitigation. Actively seeks and removes impediments to team success regardless of where they originate.
- Human resource contributions associated with the team, including recruiting, hiring, performance evaluation, and coaching.
- Continuously improves software development productivity, quality, predictability, and team morale.
- Establish people management and processes to attract and retain the best talent in the software and technology space.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. Masters is a plus.
- Substantial engineering background with 10+ years leadership experience in a software development organization with practical experience working in Agile environments with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipeline
- Proven ability to lead teams of geo-located Engineers and advance software development practices.
- Exceptional leadership, coaching, and management skills
- Highly entrepreneurial, creative, open-minded, highly collaborative and innovative
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills; able to work well in a cross-functional, matrix management environment
- Knowledge and experience in continuous delivery methodologies like continuous integration, continuous deployment and continuous automated testing
InVue (www.invue.com) creates technology solutions for retailers, commercial businesses, and Institutions that improve customer profitability, efficiency, and security. Today, InVue partners with top retailers and brands like Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, Lenovo, and Google around the world. InVue has been recognized as one of the fastest growing privately-held companies in the U.S. by Inc. Magazine for five of its ten years in business.
InVue’s Global Headquarters and Innovation Center is in Charlotte, North Carolina.