Director, Software Engineering
Lighthouse 360, a division of Henry Schein One, is a powerful, easy-to-use dental practice management and patient communication software that automates dentists' daily consumer interactions and office routines such as appointment reminders. Lighthouse allows dental practices to optimize with automation features, bring in new patients, get patients to return regularly, and build better relationships for patients to find dental practices online.
At Lighthouse, we work on a broad range of business initiatives and objectives by leveraging a wide set of technologies and tools. This is an engineering leadership position for a hands-on technologist to lead a talented group of engineers in multiple geographical locations. This position is responsible to manage multiple software development teams focused on developing and enhancing an innovative cloud-based Patient Relationship Management software for the Dental industry. This position will oversee and contribute to the design and development of various aspects of the product line. Assist in establishing and communicating the strategic direction for the engineering team and product lines.
Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Expertise in at least one modern programming language, such as Java or C#
- Broad working knowledge of modern technology stacks
- Good working knowledge of databases including PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
- Strong problem solving & creative skills
- Excellent knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Broad and wide-range understanding of industry practices for software engineering, quality assurance, analysis, and project management
- In-depth knowledge of at least one of the development disciplines: software engineering, quality assurance, or analysis
- Advanced understanding of current best practices and methodologies in the areas of software development and deployment.
- Partner with Lighthouse leadership team to lead the product and technology vision
- Manage and oversee multiple development teams to deliver impactful products for the dental market
- Provide direct guidance over the engineering team to ensure best practices for software development
- Establish software development standards and processes along with best practices for the delivery of scalable and high-quality software
- Architect and deliver secure, user-friendly, and accessible products
- Recommend implement processes and best practices to maximize the efficiency of the engineering team
- Work with the Product team to develop and implement the product roadmap
- Build a strong engineering culture and hire great engineering talent
- Oversee staffing in regard to hiring, dismissals, performance management, and pay reviews
- Communicate status of personnel, products, and projects with clear, concise reports and metrics to all stakeholders
- Communicate product and department future direction to team members and other stakeholders
- Facilitate the creation of project plans with proper scoping, estimates, and resourcing
- 10+ years of experience developing software with large-scale web applications
- 3-5 years of experience managing multiple teams of engineers.
Typically a bachelor’s degree in computer science or global equivalent in related discipline. Master's degree or global equivalent a plus.
General Skills & Competencies
- Outstanding management and leadership skills and ability to attract, retain, motivate, develop, mentor, and coach team members for high performance
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to resolve disputes effectively
- Outstanding presentation and public speaking skills
- Expert independent decision making, analysis, and problem-solving skills
- Understand, interpret and act on financial information and external trends that contribute to business profitability
- Plan and manage complex and successful projects; understand available resources, develop timeline, budget and assign areas of responsibility
- Lead teams to achieve company goals and solve complex business issues in creative and effective ways
- Expert planning and organizational skills and techniques
- Communicate effectively with senior management and key stakeholders
- Excellent negotiating skills and ability to effectively manage internal and external relationships
- Ability to influence, build relationships, understand organizational complexities, manage conflict and navigate politics
- Broad professional and managerial skills with a full understanding of industry practices and company policies and procedures
- Lead and develop virtual teams
- Expert in multiple technical and business skills
- Strategic planning skills
Henry Schein, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability that can be reasonably accommodated without undue hardship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.