Senior Database Engineer - Contract
Internet Brands and WebMD are looking for a Senior Database Engineer with a diverse background in data integration to join the Data Management team. You don’t need to be a doctor to work at WebMD, but we’re looking for individuals who can fix and solve any data problems. Some data is small, some data is very large (1 trillion+), some data is structured, some data is not. Our data comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Vertica, MongoDB, HIVE to name a few. Our data could reside on physical, could reside on VM or even on the cloud.
You will be responsible for collaborating with web developers, mobile developers, data scientists and business intelligence team to design and develop custom data solutions. This position is not for you if you are looking for direct instructions or supervision. We are looking for individual who can solve any problems on their own, make your own decisions and make a direct impact to the business.
Besides a competitive compensation package, you’ll be working with a great group of technologists interested in finding the right database to use, right tool for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. If you’re ready to step up and take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, this is a unique opportunity for you.
- Design, develop and support multiple data projects in traditional relational databases such as Oracle, MSSQL and PostgreSQL as well as non-traditional database such as MongoDB, Vertica and Snowflake.
- Analyze business requirements, design and implement required data model and ETL processes on your own
- Participate in data architecture and engineering decision making/planning
- Create an enterprise level data inventory regardless of source, format, structure
- Connect and integrate individual datasets for better transparency and analysis
- Translate complex technical subjects into terms that can be understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
Qualifications: (must have)
- 8+ years of experience with traditional database development on Oracle/MSSQL/PostgreSQL
- 2+ years of experience with databases other than Oracle/MSSQL/MySQL, such as Vertica, MongoDB or HDFS/HIVE
- Programming skills in either Java or Python
- Understanding of Ad tech stack and data (Ad Servers, DSM, Programmatic, DMP, etc)
- Strong communication and documentation skill is absolutely required for this role as you will be working directly with both IT and non-technical groups
- Self-motivated, willingness to learn new technologies and business and willing to take initiative beyond basic responsibilities
- Requires minimal or no direct supervision
Desired: (nice to have)
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python or Perl
- Experience in shell scripting languages such as Bash or Bourne
- Experience with the ETL tools such as Microsoft SSIS, Pentaho or Talend
- Experience with setting up the infrastructure and architectural requirements
- Experience with statistical computing environments such as R or SPSS
- Database administration experience a plus, but not required
- Knowledge of Ad stack technology a plus (DSP, DMP, Programmatic, etc)
- Web analytics or Business Intelligence a plus, but not required
About Internet Brands:
Headquartered in El Segundo, Calif., Internet Brands® is a fully integrated online media and software services organization focused on four high-value vertical categories: Health, Automotive, Legal, and Home/Travel. The company's award-winning consumer websites lead their categories and serve more than 250 million monthly visitors, while a full range of web presence offerings has established deep, long-term relationships with SMB and enterprise clients. Internet Brands' powerful, proprietary operating platform provides the flexibility and scalability to fuel the company's continued growth. Internet Brands is a portfolio company of KKR and Temasek. For more information, please visit www.internetbrands.com.
Internet Brands and its wholly-owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.