Development Manager - Avvo
Avvo is changing what it means for consumers to find professional legal help. Every year millions of people seek professional legal assistance and our legal vertical has profiles for nearly all 1.3 million US registered lawyers on our platform. We're looking for highly technical, growth-minded dev manager to help us connect people with the legal help they need.
Avvo is a dog-friendly office located in the heart of Seattle at the beautiful 8th & Olive building, just a few blocks away from Pike Place Market. Nestled in Seattle's tech community, we offer scenic views of the city and surrounding areas from any floor at Avvo!
About the Position:
As a Development Manager, your primary responsibilities will be around leading the technical development of our products, and you’ll work hand-in-hand with a team of 6-12 engineers that you’ll lead. You’ll be responsible for the growth, performance, and support of the developers on your team. You’ll also work closely with leadership, product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to ensure we’re delivering value to our customers in a timely, predictable way. You’ll be a strong advocate for agile engineering practices and repeatable, test-driven development. You won’t be afraid to jump in and do whatever you can to help out. You’ll also be responsible for hiring and attracting tech talent to the organization. We’re all in this together at Avvo.
- 3-5 years experience as a developer manager or lead developer.
- Strong track record of leadership and technological innovation and success.
- An expert at giving feedback, as well as code reviews.
- Experience developing scalable consumer internet applications.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills required.
- 5+ years’ experience on a software development team with thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle.
- 4+ years experience mentoring developers.
- 2+ years’ experience on an agile software development team as a feature or team lead.
- Willingness to grow with a team of developers.
- Experience with rails, elixir, docker, continuous delivery, TDD, and agile methodologies.
About the team:
- We mostly run Ruby on Rails, but have used Rack applications and brought in technologies like Go, Rust, and Elixir. We're open to using the right technologies for what we build.
- We iterate quickly, and ship multiple times a day.
- We work in small teams with product managers and designers, and help shape the products we build.
- We have a strong tradition of supporting open source software. resque_scheduler, robut, resque_unit, and jsonapiclient we’ve all extracted from our codebase, and we've contributed patches back to Rails.
Success starts with having the right people. At Internet Brands, we value and mentor each member of our growing team. We seek out talented, goal-oriented professionals who live and breathe the Internet and thrive in a flexible but challenging work environment. Our team of innovators has enabled Internet Brands to sustain high levels of profitability and success while evolving along with the Internet for over 20 years.
At IB, we promote an entrepreneurial, friendly culture that applauds innovation and results while embracing change and independence. Our employees are intensely driven and constantly encouraged to reach higher and use creativity to achieve success – all the while enjoying high levels of collaboration and the luxury of coming to work in jeans and sneakers. We are proud to offer a unique blend of the innovation of a start-up with the history, stability, and benefits of an established corporation.
Internet Brands and its wholly owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.