Fodor’s Travel has been a leader in expert travel for over 80 years and, as part of digital media powerhouse Internet Brands, is continuing to grow! We hire local writers who know their destinations better than anyone else, allowing us to provide the best travel recommendations for more than 7,500 destinations worldwide. We deliver our expertise in every format that travelers need, from print guidebooks and eBooks, to Fodors.com and social media platforms.
Fodor’s Travel is seeking a Production Editor, who will report to the Editorial Production Manager and collaborate with colleagues across all departments. The Production Editor is responsible for moving Fodor’s travel guides from manuscripts to printed books and ensuring these books are delivered on time and within budget.
- Manage the production workflow of approximately 15 titles per year.
- Oversee the production cycle of assigned titles, collaborating with developmental editorial, art, and photo departments; workflow tasks include:
○ Evaluating manuscript submitted by editors
○ Assigning manuscript to freelance copy editors, evaluating their work, and submitting to editors to resolve queries
○ Formatting and running initial layouts of chapters, including placing art assets and ensuring clear and correct chapter structure in collaboration with editorial and art/photo departments
○ Assigning preliminary layouts to freelance proofreaders and resolving any further content or layout queries
○ Assigning book to freelance indexers and ensuring accuracy
○ Delivering final book layouts to art department and checking finished interior and cover proofs for accuracy
- Participate in weekly scheduling meetings and update appropriate stakeholders if schedules are running behind
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for print publishing and at least 2 years of experience working in book or magazine production strongly preferred; a combination of internships and/or part-time work will be considered
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- Strong editorial, writing, and fact-checking skills; proficiency with Chicago Manual of Style
- Proficient in problem solving in a fast-paced environment
- Highly detail oriented, organized, and able to prioritize projects and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of InDesign
- Experience working with a complex content management system; basic knowledge of html and xml preferred
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
Success starts with having the right people. At Internet Brands, we value and mentor each member of our growing team. We seek out talented, goal-oriented professionals who live and breathe the Internet and thrive in a flexible but challenging work environment. Our team of innovators has enabled Internet Brands to sustain high levels of profitability and success while evolving along with the Internet for over 20 years.
At IB, we promote an entrepreneurial, friendly culture that applauds innovation and results while embracing change and independence. Our employees are intensely driven and constantly encouraged to reach higher and use creativity to achieve success – all the while enjoying high levels of collaboration and the luxury of coming to work in jeans and sneakers. We are proud to offer a unique blend of the innovation of a start-up with the history, stability, and benefits of an established corporation.
Internet Brands and its wholly owned affiliates are an equal opportunity employer.