Womenswear Designer - Wovens
Founded in 1972, Jigsaw was the first premium fashion brand on the high street. Since then, the company has expanded worldwide to work with the finest mills, cutting edge photographers, up-and-coming models and renowned architects. But the search for the best in the industry never stops. As our journey continues, we're looking for passionate and talented people to learn about Style & Truth: a set of values that sets us apart from the rest of the high street, a belief that everyone should feel empowered to embrace their own style, be true to themselves, and not slavishly follow the fashion world. This means putting style before trends and truth before hype. Join the Jigsaw journey.
We’re looking for a Womenswear Designer - Wovens to join our Design team.
Womenswear Designer - Wovens
Kew Gardens, London
Head of Wovens
Internal: Head of Wovens, Design Team, Wovens Product Developer, Technical Team, Merchandising Team
We are looking for a highly creative Womenswear Designer who can think out of the box. You will have an elevated aesthetic and experience in the premium sector. You will be responsible for designing stunning woven garments in collaboration with the product development and technical teams; driving the creative process working closely with the Head of Wovens.
You will be a key contributor in building an innovative, sustainably sourced, commercially balanced range, consistently introducing fresh ideas to the product assortment and delivering a collection that is true to the Jigsaw design aesthetic
You will have a strong design identity, a high level of awareness of seasonal shows and knowledge of current and future trends, as well as a strong understanding of what customers want to see online and instore.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work collaboratively with design, buying and pattern teams from concept to completion aligning on seasonal direction, trends, timelines and customer insights.
- Research seasonal theme and inspiration, fabric and colour concepts in collaboration with the Design team via fabric fairs, shopping and visual research, galleries etc.
- Developing design through sketching, draping on the stand and other creative mediums.
- Produce clear illustrations and technical sketches, communicating details of which to the pattern room in order to develop accurate first prototypes and creating specs/tech packs for factories.
- Work closely with Product Development, Garment Tech teams and Atelier, managing the shape development and fittings process making sure the critical path is adhered to.
- Participate in fittings with a high level of confidence, developing styles from sketch to sealing.
- Work closely with the Product Development team to ensure they are up to date on sketch development, passing correct tech packs and instructions for fabric and trim.
- Maintaining contact with external suppliers, visiting when necessary, and ensuring they have all relevant design information to make samples.
- Work on colour palettes and put lab dips into work in correct yarns and fabrics. Work on prints and trims for the collection in collaboration with the print designer.
- Maintaining awareness of market information influencing consumers and knowing the company best seller products in order to filter into the design process.
- Work with the broader design teams to ensure that there is a clear definition between the departments and that we offer true choice to the customer.
- Work with merchandising on planning the range in line with buy plan.
- Work with other members of the team to prepare line sheets for buy meetings with relevant information such as prices, lead times, minimum order quantity, surcharges etc.
- Preparation for presenting collections to the Creative Director and Merchandising teams at buy meetings and actioning any subsequent amendments.
- Input into copy for online selling, ensuring the marketing teams have all the correct product information.
- Check the Jigsaw website and flag any product information or description discrepancies.
- Regular visits to Jigsaw stores and concessions to remain in touch with the shopping environment.
- General day to day administrative duties, archiving collection work, maintaining samples, keeping design boards and working space tidy.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduated from a Fashion Design BA course or MA course
- Significant experience in a womenswear designer role in the premium sector
- Highly creative and strong understanding of customer needs
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent technical hand drawing skills
- Expertise in working on the stand with drape and shape making
- A good technical knowledge of garment construction, fit and fabric
- Excellent sensitivity to fabrication, colour detail and proportion
- Strong grasp of sustainable fashion solutions, material innovation and product development
- Ability to work well in a fast paced and creative environment
- Good knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Microsoft Office suite
- Written and oral fluency in English
BEHAVIOURS FOR SUCCESS
- The successful candidate should be self-motivated, organised be able to work independently within a fast-paced creative team environment and have a good understanding of the brand’s aesthetic.
- Excellent communication skills with an organised and structured approach.
- High work ethic, good time management skills
- Work to deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Champion of the business and brand aesthetic
- CV and Portfolio including examples of your work
Staff discount – up to 50%
Cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Access to Perkbox – Jigsaws benefits Provider