Research Fellow – Embedded Processors and Digital Design Research (Ref.03.21.11)
- IMPORTANT NOTE -
INL is actively working to mitigate the risk of CoVid-19 and is promoting protection measures within their community with impact in the regular activities. Ongoing and new R&S processes may have changes during this exceptional period. Please check the details in the job vacancy to keep track on any updates.
Research Fellow – Embedded Processors and Digital Design Research (Ref.03.21.11)
Type of contract: Limited duration
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Career Stage: Up to 3 years after PhD
Open Date for Applications: March 30th, 2021
Closing Date for Applications: September 21st, 2021, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Aging & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
This call is related to the Scientific Research and Technological Development Projects identified hereunder, which are cofunded by Horizon 2020 (H2020) and National Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT).
Project specifications: This project is funded by H2020 under the ECSEL programme
(a) Name of the project: Moore4Medical
(b) Reference number: H2020-ECSEL-2019-IA-876190
(c)Scientific Area: Electrical, Electronics or Physics Engineering
(d)Description: The project addresses emerging medical applications and technologies that offer significant new opportunities for the Electronic Systems & Components (ECS) industry including: bioelectronic medicines, organ-on-chip, drug adherence monitoring, smart ultrasound, radiation free interventions and continuous monitoring. The new technologies will help fighting the increasing cost of healthcare by: reducing the need for hospitalization, helping to develop personalized therapies, and realizing intelligent point-of-care diagnostic tools.
Description of the functions and key primary responsibilities:
The Research Fellow will become part of the System Engineering Group. She/he will be assigned the following working plan:
- Design and development of Embedded processors (ARM or RISC-V);
- CMOS digital design and its integration with the analog components;
- Tapeout, Test & characterization of fabricated devices;
- Participate in the writing of grant applications;
- Writing of scientific reports to be published.
Specific Eligibility Conditions:
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties the candidate will be required to perform:
- PhD Degree in Electrical, Electronics or Physics Engineering or any other relevant field;
- Relevant experience in Digital Circuit Design;
- Ability to develop from top to bottom complex designs that require sensor sampling, signal processing and data transmission including the analog models that interface sensors (MEMS, magnetic and gas sensors);
- Relevant experience in embedded processor design (hardware/software) targeting RISC-V or ARM;
- Experience in Verilog or VHDL hardware coding and simulation;
- Experience in CMOS digital design flow using Synopsys or Cadence EDA tools (Synthesis and P&R);
- Past experience in working with international and cross-functional teams.
The call describes the requirements in terms of qualifications and professional experience deemed appropriate for the position. If a candidate has additional qualifications and professional experience, they can only be recruited at the job category and profile specified.
Applications that not meet these conditions will not be considered.
Supervision: The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of João Piteira. The successful candidate will be integrated in the Systems Engineering Group.
The selection of candidates will be carried out by a Selection Committee consisting of the following persons:
1) João Piteira
2) Dr. Álvaro Geraldes
3) Dr. Hugo Oliveira
4) Rita Milhazes - Human Resources
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 20 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual. In any case the contract cannot exceed the duration of the project. The expected starting date is October 2021.
General Eligibility conditions, required qualifications and expertise:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a PhD Degree within the field of the selected vacancy;
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen, a non-European Union Citizen, or a stateless person with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees;
(d) At least one recommendation letter;
(e) Recognition of academic degrees (only academic degrees awarded by non-Portuguese higher education institutions)*.
* The selected candidates with an academic degree granted by a non-Portuguese higher education institution must present, for hiring purposes, the certificate of recognition of that degree(s), issued by the Portuguese Directorate General for Higher Education or by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution. Regarding this issue, please consult the website of the Portuguese Directorate General for Higher Education: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en.
At the application stage, the supporting document(s) mentioned in paragraph (e) [Recognition of academic degrees (only academic degrees awarded by non-Portuguese higher education institutions)], may be replaced by a Declaration of Honour (Template) from the candidate. In this case, the application of the candidate will be provisionally accepted provided the following conditions shall be satisfied:
- The Declaration of Honour should state facts only prior to the application. If the information on the Declaration of Honour differs from the certificate of recognition submitted at stage of preparing the contract, only this last one is considered;
- The Certificate of Recognition issued by the competent Portuguese Authority is always required at the stage of preparing the contract;
- The Certificate of Recognition matches the information considered in the evaluation stage.
The evaluation process will follow a three-stage process:
1. Candidate eligibility check
Only full applications will be considered. The applicant will be responsible for the data submission and validation. The application language is English.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility conditions will not be considered.
2. Assessment of the Research Experience of the Candidate
The selection of candidates shall be made by means of an assessment of the research experience within the framework of the Project, which shall focus on the relevance, quality and up-to-date of the following items:
- Scientific and Technological Production (‘STP’);
- Applied and Practice-based Research Activities (‘RA’);
- Activities related to the Dissemination of Knowledge (‘DK’);
- Activities related to the Management of Science, Technology and Innovation programmes (‘MSTI’).
The research experience will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- STP (65%): Academic Qualifications (AQ) – 10%; Research Quality (RQ) – 40%; Impact and Efectiveness (IE) – 15%;
- RA (15%): Research Coordination (RC) – 5%; Development, operation and maintenance of core facilities “instrumentation and/or equipment” (DOM) – 2%; organisation of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities (OCSS) - 2 %; teaching activities “advanced courses or university” (TA) – 3%; research stays and internships (RSI) – 3%;
- DK (5%): Transfer to other areas of society (TS) – 3%; promotion of the public understanding of science (PPUS) – 2%;
- MSTI (5%): Development of Laboratory facilities, management of research groups (DFMG) – 3%; evaluation of STI activities (EA) – 2%.
This criteria will have a total valuation of 90%. The minimum threshold for this stage is 60%.
The top four ranked candidates will be shortlisted for interview, provided however that they pass the threshold mentioned above.
Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate. This criterion will have a total valuation of 10%.
The Selection Committee will draw up the minutes of the R&S process in which candidates will be ranked according to their evaluation scores.
Approval and formal offer:
Successful applicants will be offered the corresponding positions.
How to apply:
The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply for this job' button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
What we offer:
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
INL offers an attractive financial package appropriate to an international research organization composed by a gross monthly Remuneration of 2600.00€ paid in 12 installments. Due to INL special legal status as intergovernmental organization, financial benefits are exempt for national income tax. Apart from the salary, INL may offer, depending on the personal situation, additional allowances and benefits for families and non-residents.
Applicable legal and regulatory framework, taking into consideration the international status of the Organisation:
The contract will be subject to the INL’s Staff Rules, as amended from time to time, as well as to all other relevant instructions issued by the Organisation. For this purpose, a copy of the Staff Rules shall be provided. The contract may also be supplemented by the terms and conditions of the Financing Contract between the Organisation and the FCT governing the implementation of the FCT Project.
Disputes between the Organisation and the Employed Member of the Personnel shall be settled in accordance with the INL´s Staff Rules.
Notification of results:
Each candidate notified via email of the result of their individual application. If the first candidate refuses the offer, the Human Resources will send an offer to the second candidate on the ranking, and so on until the vacancy is filled.
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle:
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Applicants can receive support regarding applications to this positions via e-mail: [email protected]